79 Camaro wheel fitment

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Adri79z28, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Adri79z28

Adri79z28 New Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Hey everyone, I own a 1979 Camaro z28.
    Everything is all stock regarding the rear suspension. I found a nice set of wheels and tires on Craigslist and I wanted to know if they would fit my car without any issues.
    Front: 15x8 225/60r15
    Rear: 15x10 255/60r15 with 4" 1/8th backspacing
    I'm mostly concerned about the rear, I know they will stick out but I like that look, but I want to know if it'll have clearance issues and how much it will stick out?
    Thank

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Fronts should work.
    If those are actually 10" wheels (inside of rim lip measurement) 255/60r15 tires are meant for a minimum of 7" to a maximum of 9" wide wheels.

A 10" wheel (with that back spacing) will probably require you to roll the lip of the rear wheel well to prevent contact. You might need extended shackles and/or air shocks to lift the car over the wheels if rolling the lip doesn't provide enough clearance. (Especially if you still have the factory rear springs which have probably sagged over the years.)

Jacking up the rear is generally not a good idea as it changes the handling of these cars and results in a very stiffly sprung rear which doesn't help with traction either.

On another note... These cars rarely have the differential set up exactly on center so you almost need to bolt the wheels up to see how they fit when they are at the limit of fitment.

Good Luck!

3. Adri79z28

Adri79z28 New Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Screenshot_20171221-153042.png
    Hey thanks for the input, I'm just worried now because I really like the mags and everything, do you think I should just chance it, because now looking at my car it looks as though the previous owner did some suspension work as he did race it on a track. Here is a pic of the rear, tell me what you think
    Those ones are currently 235/60r14 (previous owners)

Attached Files:

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I don't know the backspacing on the current wheels but it looks to me like suspension travel will cause interference with the wheel arch lip.
    Unless the rear is so stiff it never moves that much.
    If it's that stiff... It's got to be a really rough ride. :eek:

the 10" wheels might stick out another 1" or more.
    (Hard to tell because I don't know the current backspacing.)

5. Adri79z28

Adri79z28 New Member

Dec 21, 2017
    To be honest it's stiff as hell LMFAO! I can barely push the car down with my own weight. But it doesn't look like stock ride height.
    Thanks for all the help
    I'll post some picks with the new ones hopefully they'll be good