'79 Berlinetta - An Italian resto..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jas0n, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    lol! Thanks for the kind tought!

Also thanks falloutboy for clarification!

2. dirtdobber78

dirtdobber78 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Little by little, just keep plugging. I have 2 kids, 5 and 1. Starting to get a little more time here and there.

Jas0n likes this.
  3. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    It’s been a while! Sorry my friends, it’s a long time that I don’t write updates here but, you know, life as a dad can be very intense! Now my son has 1 year old and finally I can find 5 minutes a day to work on my beloved Camaro.

Since the last post above, I “only” repaired the trunk lid, and here is what I have done in the last 6 months. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can notice how bad the all car has been repaired in the past, only a piece of steel put there with a ton of sealer:

[​IMG]

and bondo:

[​IMG]

and horrible patches from the inside, plus a ton of bondo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Start patching:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside patches are very difficult to me; these are made with a bead roller, hammer and dolly, a lot of patience, a lot of trying and steel massage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trunk lid is now covered by primer and it seems like new! (Sorry I don’t have a pic..)

And this conclude last year work on my Camaro. I really hope that 2018 will be more productive!

Thanks for checking out my progress!

7. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    Congratulations on your baby!! Sorry if I missed something but could you tell me how you fabricated those beautiful patch panels for the trunk. Any special tools? You did a magnificent job!

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Do they use a lot of salt on the roads during the snows over there.A lot of your body parts look mighty "ugly",I bet you are glad you can do your own repair work. But looking good though. Keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

9. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    nice job on those trunk patches! kinda surprised you're not using a TIG to burn them in place?

10. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words

Thanks zachary8! those patches was made with a bead roller (internal patches), a metal brake (external patches) and hammer and dolly (both)

Good point Zspoiler! Consider that the car came from England and its nice weather... Also I think that she had fallen in the bad hands of a psycho-panel beater-serial killer that had vented his most terrible instincts on his victim

Thanks Scott51! Yeah you are perfectly right.. this thing makes me really upset with myself: I have a tig, two years already, at the time, I made so much sacrifice to bought it; today I don't be good enough, even tough with tens of tungsten consumed trying to learn. For this first job, I had preferred not to risk to burn holes through the panel, possibly end with a worst situation.