'79 Berlinetta - An Italian resto..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jas0n, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Congrats on the little rascal. But yeah, do kids ever come when we planned it? I myself dodged that bullet way to often :D

Interested to see your further proceedings and progress.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You have done pretty well considering what money and resources you have .And you can always do other upgrades down the line.Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

3. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Congratz on the new family. When my kids came along I definitely had to split my time with them and the car, but it can be done! You'll do great, I'm sure.

Jas0n likes this.
  4. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Started to scrape out the paint on the rear, you can notice how bad it has repaired in the past

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the very rear of that panel, where the tank is situated, the situation is worst than the outside and the efforts for scrape out the paint here are doubled due of the tight space (sorry: no pics here..)

I decided to fab my own patch panel because buy a complete panel in the U.S. and shipping it in Italy, would cost a bunch of money

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checkin' out my progress!

5. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Looks great, Jas0n! I will be learning fabrication from you!

6. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Thanks PFZ28! We'll see if I deserve this honor or if I'll reduce my Camaro like a pile of scrap sheets all tied togheter with a bunch of welds... LOL! (..or not so lol...)

Yesterday I take a video of the under trunk / rear inside... I don't know how is it called.. so you can see what a disaster of bad repairs there are there. I found a lot of polyurethane foam between the inside and the outside quarter panel on each side.. is supposed to be there from the factory or is it another invention made by who had repaired everything else near there? Thanks!

Click here to watch the video!

7. There is no, and should not be an foam in a car body. These foams are for insulation or installation of doors, windows in buildings - NOT cars.
    lol, these welds look like they were done by me - and I am terrible at welding.

8. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Thanks falloutboy! I suspected as much..

9. I have to stand corrected. It IS possible to use flexible urethane foams in cars. But the only real place for MINOR / small amounts is between the roof sheets or encapsulated thin strips in door skins to dampen vibration.
    Roof: Beads of foam dampen the vibrating and flexing of the 2 roof panels, especially thanks to temperature differences. But bear in mind that this has to be more of a closed cell foam, so that it does not absorb moisture.
    Door skin: modern cars use spread out (hand wide) strips of 2~3 mm encapsulated foam to dampen vibration and noise. Eg big flat surfaces or places where cables are routed and gears rotate.

Example: see here -
    How To Install a New Roof on Hands-On Cars 4 + Impala Joyride! Eastwood & Kevin Tetz

EDIT: Video should start at 16:40 -- no clue why it begins way earlier

Jas0n likes this.
  10. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

Its too bad I cant fit that rear tail panel in my luggage or id bring you one at the end of the month.