'79 Berlinetta - An Italian resto..

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jas0n, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Dear friends on Nasty, I start this project thread after four years that I bought my 1979 Camaro Berlinetta 350 V8 TH350 and also four years of slow progress due to restricted budget: every year I fight to save money to buy spare parts on several on-line stores, there in my beloved United States of America, so, slowly, every year I repair something! Sadly, a mountain of taxes is being applied over parts and the shipment is another heavy piece to pay, but if you wanna play with the pro, you got to pay like a pro (or this is what they wanna make believe!).

However, this is the link of my presentation here at Nasty: Hi from Italy!

and this is the link that I wrote when I purchased this SuperCar: This was my dream...

and now here begin the story:

An evening in the end of September 2010 (3 months after have purchased the car), when returning by a dinner with friends, engine died due gasoline starvation in the tank and I wasn't able to made it started again since I went a walk to gas station and filled a gas can and return. After that, the engine died every quarter mile and I was sure (remembering to have seeing rust on the tank) that some dirt had reached the carburator. The day after, I had cleaned the carb and put a scratch filter in-line and the engine revs without problem but I knew that the time has came to start supplying parts for a winter of garage job!

I have just spent 11500 Euro (14500 of today's dollars) to buy the car, in that moment I had to ask myself where to start and what to save... so I start to clean the tank, but after had removed the second layer of rust I found the first of a series of holes. A new tank had to be ordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: I would say a big THANK YOU to PFZ28 and Sean 74Z for their words of encouragement in order to start this thread; to all other member here I say: please tell me if you don't understand what I write and please feel free to correct me when I write something wrong: I would learn!

Thank you guys!!

2. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    When the tank has taken off, I was be able to saw the under trunk conditions: seemed like the car has had an accident in the left rear corner and was repaired by a blind man with no hands........ but there was also rust and no protective paint to prevent the spread, so with the grinder and the steel brush disc I removed all the rust and then I painted a black rust encapsulator (spreaded with the paintbrush: when I'll do a resto of the shell I'll do more professional things).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is how it turns:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Big improvement! If your Camaro is going to be in it's "home" and out of the weather the rest of it's life, I'm thinking you may not need to do anything more professional than you've already done/doing. Looks like you're into two wheelers as well.

4. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Yeah, Camaro is the princess of the garage and she run only in the sun :D
    my girlfriend and I are motorcyclists: she own a Ducati 996 and I have a Buell XB9SX

Thanks for stopping here!

5. I feel you pain on the taxes, a $20 part turns into $100 after shipping and taxes I have exactly the same problem. I have tired contacting some of the online stores through and asked to package things cleverly in order to save on shipping costs. It does pay to get stuff in a bigger order though, try maybe a parts supplier that brings in stuff from the states and piggy back off their crates - like a Harley Davidson dealer for example. But then you might need to friends with the dealer - which helps.

6. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    I think its pretty cool that you're interested in American Muscle cars even though you live in the land of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

Oh and I think your English is just fine. Even better that some Americans.

7. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Thank you guys! US rules! ;)

8. Jas0n

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Waiting to scrape together a good list of spare parts, I began to disassemble the rear and the interior.

Tail lamps was faded: the housing had no reflective part at all, so I sanded it down and sprayed with chrome paint;then cleaned up the lens (ordered new rubber housing-to-body gaskets) and the tail lamps seemed almost like new!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then I painted the plastic trims, that originally was gray for the Berlinetta model, in matte black. The finish result is in this pic, taken when the job on the tail was completely done

[​IMG]

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That is looking great!!

10. 70SSRS350

70SSRS350 Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2010
    ITALY
    And what about the piaggio Ciao on the right???? :D :crazy:

Jason, this summer my '70 have a fuel leak from the rubber hose that connect the rear hard line (from the gas tank) to the front hard line (from the engine), just under passenger door.
    If you are working on the tank and fuel line, replace that piece of old hardened rubber, it's a 10 minutes job that can save your car!