78Z28 by NvO

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by NvO, Feb 4, 2018.

1. tjmugg

tjmugg New Member

Aug 4, 2016
    New England
    Looks great. Can't wait to see the assembled chassis.

2. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Yeah that wasnt really fun, took almost 5 days of stripping

3. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Thanks! Me too

4. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Progress has been kind of slow, things arent bolting together the way i would like them to.

First had to strip and re epoxy/paint the leaf springs as they were starting to rust,
    [​IMG]

They are stock replacements i think the p/n was RL5 from classic industries, however the ones i took of the car had 4 leafs and these have 5. Im hoping ride height will be ok once put together but i think they will be to high.

Also, the replacement leafs had an extra spacer on the bottom (causing the total stack to be 12mm's higher then the originals) this caused a big gap between the rear end mounting tab and the shock plate.
    I removed the spacer plate,this and the use of the original rubber pads instead of the polyurethane i bought (poor fitment) caused the leaf springs to be seated a lot better. there is only a little gap now.

After this i repainted the axles and put new studs in and installed them in the rear end after putting fresh bearings and seals.

Then started test fitting the right stuff detailing disc brake conversion. The disc conversion seems to fit really well only issue im having is that the end play on the axles seems excessive. Im going to have to look into how to eliminate this as much as possible so i dont experience any pad kick back. The rear end is a 3.42 Posi, Im thinking a combination of worn clutches and worn pinion pin/axels and c-clips. I have another rear i can test fit parts from so ill see how much of the play i can remove. Any help or experience on this is appreciated!

[​IMG]