78Z28 by NvO

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by NvO, Feb 4, 2018.

1. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hello everybody,

Decided to make a new thread due to swapping projects.
    It started around 2 years ago when i got a chance to buy a 79 Berlinetta from family.
    After digging in to it a little i found alot of rust around the frame rails and on most bodypanels.
    Because im located in the Netherlands i figured it would be easier to find a donor car then to source all parts new. This was around the spring of 2017. 1 year into the berlinetta.
    I found a car in the USA and had it shipped to me, arriving in the summer of last year.

After inspecting the car for the first time in person I noted that this car was in far better shape then my original project, and also it was a original Z28 4 speed opposed to my Berlinetta auto.

So the choice was made to put the Berlinetta on hold for some time and put my time and money in to this much nicer Z28.

And so it began

The Berlinetta where it went to pause :
    [​IMG]

The Z28 arriving at my shop :
    [​IMG]

Teardown started :
    [​IMG]

Teardown completed ready for sodablasting
    [​IMG]

Sodablasted and primed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patch panels in and filled welding joints with fibreglass filler :
    [​IMG]

Underside topcoated :
    [​IMG]

Inside cabin topcoated :

[​IMG]

I will update as progress continues,
    Also have a lot more pictures if you guys are interested.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Looks good. You have a great work space. 2 Camaros, I'm Jealous... LOL

3. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Thanks! Appreciate it

4. 2fat2fly

2fat2fly Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Nice job so far. More pictures are always good!

5. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Thanks, Will update soon

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    So what are you going to do with the car?

7. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    The one that has been sandblasted is getting the stock muncie 4spd behind the rebuild 350 with cams,intake,carb and headers (it has a upgraded crank and pistons). Together with a 3.73 Posi,

Exterior will be stock, thinking about adding the front and rear fender flares and i like the look of the 81 hoodscoop.
    For suspension I will add subframe connectors and solid mounts, Renewing the rest of the suspension and adding QA1 coilovers and lowering leafsprings.

Im still debating on the interior, i like the stock seats redone but also like the look af the TMI Sport R seats, rest will be original except for the gauges and adding a centre console.

Just going for a clean looking car that has been completely restored so i can keep it on the road for quite some time. Rather do it all in one go then to patch a little here and there.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Well you have all those years the cars were built to pick and choose from ,You can have your stock seats modified .Or you could find a set of 1985 Firebirds seats for your car, Mine is a 1979 Z-28 RS ,But I have 1981 Z-28 Fenders ,1970-3 door panels ,1969 Camaro cowl hood .A 1979 -81 IMSA Nose 1970-3 stripes .To name a few. Its nice tp have so many years to pick from,Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

9. NvO

NvO Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Netherlands
    Another update on the progress :

Unfortunately had to repaint the underside because the paint i used didnt bond with the epoxy primer.
    Took 5 whole days to get all the paint of the underside. Now re sprayed fresh epoxy and used 2k satin black this time.
    [​IMG]

Then disassembled the rear end and painted it with POR 15
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im using a 3.42 Posi and putting new seals bearings and adding a rear disc brakes.

Sandblasted all rear end brackets and sway bars and freshly painted :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I refinished all the hardware that im not replacing
    [​IMG]

Now ready to put assemble the front subframe and rear end and put them back on the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

largestar likes this.
  10. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2009
    NewZealand
    looking sharp, must have been a nightmare having to strip that underside after such a nice looking job!!!