78Z Steering Box

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by NeoNeuro, Feb 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone know what steering box came on 78 Z28s? What ratio are they? I vaguely seem to recall something about a "variable ratio" being advertised in the literature back in the day. Not sure how that would work, but I've seen other boxes that claimed to have variable ratios too. (I would assume the thread pitch would be different from the center to the ends of the screw, but not sure.)

I guess the real question is, did they come with a good box or is it something I should consider upgrading? Thanks.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
  3. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Thanks Gary. I read that before, but just wasn't convinced. I dug out my old brochures and couldn't find anything about variable ratio steering. Don't know how I got that stuck in my brain. Been stuck there for 40+ years it seems. LOL. Maybe I was thinking about the close ratio trans. idk. Freaking old age sux. :D
    13:1 doesn't sound too bad considering the replacement I was looking at was only 12.7:1. Guess I'll save $500 or more likely, spend it somewhere else. Thanks again.

4. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

9B728BC4-A605-4482-BFE9-F0F951A716EE.png Some info here:

NeoNeuro likes this.
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I don't think that you could tell the difference between a 12.7 and a 13.0 ratio box. When driving them, the ratio would feel the same.

6. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Totally agree. If mine was like 14 or 15:1 then maybe, but 12.7 is basically the same ratio. I just need to clean mine up and make it pretty and I'll be in business.