'78 Z28 - Pro Touring Or Bust

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by PFZ28, Aug 6, 2010.

1. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Been a while, hope y'all are having a good holiday season. It finally got cold here, so that put the kibosh on working outside. Just before the cold, I got a fair amount of things fixed up.

One, I replaced the leaking power steering pump. The original one must have gotten smacked when this engine was in it's original car, and it leaked like crazy. At the same time, the alternator stopped alternating. I figured the constant oil bath killed it somehow. Instead of buying a new alternator, I had the old one rebuilt for 67 bucks, not too bad. And the rebuilder said that the oil probably had no effect, the alt just needed rebuilt.

Sooooo, the new power steering pump must have been remanufactured on a Friday at 4:45 pm, and was growly from the first moment. :dumper: After driving around hoping it would settle down, I finally just ordered another one on warranty and did the whole job again. That bizness is finally settled.

Also figured out the leak from the passenger side of the radiator turned out to be a loose clamp! Yay, that was easy, but Boo, who forgot to tighten the clamp???

Next, I got a new toy: Ultragauge Blue. This is a slick little device that plugs into the OBDII connector, and gives you any gauge you want on your smartphone! Check it out, they're only 79 bucks! http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge-blue.htm

Since the gauge setup I really want costs $800, I thought this would do nicely to give me the data I need to make sure the motor doesn't hurt itself. First thing I realized is that I needed to move the intake further out of range of the radiator. My intake air temps were routinely over 100*. I got some more 3" tubing and another elbow, and moved the intake all the way behind the headlight. Now the intake temps stay cooler!

In desiring to calibrate the fuel usage on the ultragauge, I went to the gas station and filled the tank all the way up. This led me to discover why I've occasionally been smelling gas fumes. Apparently there is a very large leak on the top of the new tank. I am hoping this is because I un-corked the fuel pump when I first got the tank (to make sure the pump was there - it was, after all, a returned unit I got at a significant discount) and didn't put things back together correctly.

Now I had the un-enviable position of needing to drop a completely full tank :whine:. After quite a bit of internet trolling, I figured out that I could redirect the return line from the fuel regulator to my Audi, and then just idle the Z until enough fuel got "returned" to the Audi's tank. I'm happy to report that I spilled only 5 or 6 drops of fuel in this process, and the fire extinguisher remained unused.

[​IMG]Untitled by pfz28, on Flickr

So, the tank got emptied and then the weather got cold. We often get a little bit of warm weather at the end of January. Fingers crossed, we'll see if I get a chance to drop the tank then.

2. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Enjoyed the update PF, you definitely have quite the adventures with your cars! Have a great Christmas and Happy 2017!

3. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Thanks man! BTW, I got my calendar the other day... Your Z looks SAWEEET!!

4. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
  5. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Success! I finally had a warmish day on New Year's, and dropped the tank. I knew that would be the easy part. Once out from underneath the car, I determined that I had indeed bollixed the pump re-install when I checked it out those many moons ago. The o-ring was just pinched around part of the opening. A zero-dollar fix! my favorite :bowtie:!

Next was the task of getting the tank back into the car. I figured there was about 4 to 5 gallons left inside. I poured out about two gallons into a clean bucket through the filler neck. Then I wrestled the tank back into position with the help of a two-by-four and a floor jack. When I was done, I poured the two gallons back in.

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Putting tank in by you're self such a pita. I put it on my chest,wiggle under and prop it with my knees. It's not the most enjoyable thing.

7. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Best way to put a tank in an 2nd gen f-body is with a jack to get the tank almost in place and to hold most of the weight.

8. TheFastForester

Feb 9, 2008
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Nice work PF. I had my youngest (and strongest) son help me when I replaced my tank.

9. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    It was a nice day this Superbowl Sunday, so I spent a little quality time with the Z before the game. Started out by replacing the right-side O2 sensor, to clear up a Check Engine Light issue. This was a zero dollar fix (Yay!) since I had some extra sensors that came with the engine. With the O2 sensor replaced, the engine runs much better now. It surprised me that it would run better, but I suppose it shouldn't have. It wasn't running poorly enough to suspect trouble.

The last check engine code to solve was the computer complaining that the check engine (Malfunction Indicator Lamp, or MIL) light itself was missing. I wired the MIL circuit to the FASTEN SEAT BELTS indicator on the dashboard. Sweet!

I also generally cleaned up the interior today, fixing up the door handles and vacuuming the carpet. Amazing what a little TLC will do, even for a really worn out interior.

10. TheFastForester

Feb 9, 2008
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Good stuff PF
    Nice day today indeed, got some tree and shrub pruning done before the Bowl
    What a great game (although was pulling for Atlanta)