'78 Z28 - Pro Touring Or Bust

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by PFZ28, Aug 6, 2010.

1. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Well, here goes. Took me 4 years (at least) to get up the gumption to sell my '68 Chevelle. But now that it's done and I have the cash in hand, it's time to rebuild my '78 Z28 from high school.

[​IMG]IMG_1412 by pfz28, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_1415 by pfz28, on Flickr

I bought this car not running in the summer of 1985 before my senior year in high school. I rebuilt the engine with my dad and it has run faithfully ever since. Even though I've barely put 1000 miles on it each year since I graduated from college, it still starts and runs the same as it ever did. Good ol' Rochester Quadrajet. Even after sitting all winter, it will start on the third try every time.

[​IMG]IMG_1413 by pfz28, on Flickr

I had it painted in the summer of 1987. It was black cherry - black underneath candy apple red. Hard to explain, but the effect was blacker than black until the sun hit it. As it sat outside over the years, the paint deteriorated. It was actually still pretty good up until about 10 years ago, then it really fell apart.

[​IMG]78ZSide by pfz28, on Flickr

So, it will again be black cherry when I get done. Now Mazda has a factory color that's close enough to use this time around.

[​IMG]78ZGlint by pfz28, on Flickr

More pics later. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. Tom350

Tom350 Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Las cruces
    What happened to your turbines?):

3. RC79camaro

RC79camaro Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Greenville, SC
    Best of luck with the project!

My friend had a 68 too I love the smaller tailights so much more over the 69s

4. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Turbines

Yeah, those outlaw wheels look goofy compared to the turbines. I'm using them for the good tires they have. I still have the turbines and those tires from twenty years ago. They're so dry-rotted I don't dare drive on them, and I'm too cheap to pay to swap them around! :cool:

I have some 16 inch OZ wheels that came from my father's BMW 750IL. These looked great on the car, but it needed to be lowered a bit to achieve the right effect.

[​IMG]IMG_1422 by pfz28, on Flickr

The Hotchkis TVS I have coming next week should take care of that. I'll have to refinish the OZ's, but that's a bit down the road.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  5. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blairsville,GA
    Nice looking car. It'll be fun watching it come back to life.

6. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Another Colorado '78 Z/28 comin back to life, great to see! Keep us posted!

7. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Looks good in the old pics. Glad you kept it. Good luck on the project.

8. Brian's Z

Brian's Z Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Connecticut
    Nice to see another black '78. Good luck and keep us posted.

9. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Ski Town
    Man time was not good to her. That was a bad azz ride in the day. The tvs should put a smile on your face. You wanna sell the center caps for those turbines?

10. PFZ28

PFZ28 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    My Ol' Chevelle Made The News!

Remember I said I sold my Chevelle? Well, they turned it into a display downtown at the Museum of Contemporary Art as part of the Biennial of the Americas event in Denver. Today it was on the front page of the Denver Post Entertainment Section. Check it out!

[​IMG]

I know, I know... a waste of a good Chevelle... blah, blah, blah. :whine: All I have to say is that they showed up with cash :D

Truth is, I like it this way because I can go visit it anytime I want!

Here's a link to the article:
    http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_15678499

Before ya get too worked up about it, here's what they had to work with:

[​IMG]

Here's the kicker: Colorado Custom Auto Body & Paint did all of that work from June 15 to June 28! I was blown away! That is one impressive shop. If you want to look them up, they're here:

Colorado Custom Auto Body & Paint Inc
    7563 Dahlia Street
    Commerce City, CO

(303)853-4004

Turned out I got the wheels & tires, 4-bolt main 350, and interior back after the project was done! Cool, eh?

BTW, if anyone needs some ralleys or a tough 350, let me know!