'78 T5 swap

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by th3assass1n, Dec 21, 2009.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    go get a t56 or if you don't want all the work get a tremec 5 speed. Richmond is also coming out with a new five speed or sixspeed.

Mike

2. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Salem, NH
    I ran 119-120mph in a 3600lbs car in the 1/4 for many years with a T5. never blew it up. A good shifter to guarantee positive engagement, the right lube, and you should be good.

(btw, that translates to over 525hp at the flywheel).

Oh, and they didn't put T5's behind 350s for the same reasons you couldn't get a late 2nd gen with a manual in California. Emissions.

Going by the other logic, do you think manual transmissions where not as strong while in California ??

-- Joe

3. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Jamie Passion is also coming out w/ a Muncie-based 5-speed.

I'd look hard at it.

pdq67

4. Louich

Louich Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Arthur, Ontario
    you sure you didn't subtract 5 and really have a super t10

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Salem, NH
    Haha no. Was an '89 Firebird, T5, 6 puck ceramic clutch, 26x8.5" slicks one season, bfg drag radials the next.

Got a ton of pix of the car if you want evidence. When I parted it out (bought a corvette) sold the trans to a kid who still is beating on it to this day. (this was maybe 2005).

Sold the corvette and now I have another 2nd gen.

-- Joe

6. 79konz350

79konz350 New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    I actually did the swap, if anyone in the thread still cares. I've been running the transmission in my car for over a year now behind abut a 300hp 355. Theres a few things about the swap that are kind of annoying, but I'm glad I did it, the overdrive is nice and I probably only spent 500 total on the swap. There's a lot of things that go into the swap.
    I started with a t-5 out of an 83 Camaro.
    Buy a starter, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate for the year camaro you get the tranny from, as flex plates from the autos and clutches and flywheels from the t-10 don't work.

You need a driveshaft 3 inches shorter than the stock camaro one. You can (and I did) use a mid 90s two wheel drive jimmy or blazer driveshaft (I think mine was out of a 94) but you'll need to swap yokes. My driveshaft has a little bit of vibration issues so I recommend just getting your stock camaro one cut and balanced.

The linkage is a little tricky. If anyone really wants to see it, its hard to explain without pics so I'll put them up later.