78 LT with 2.41 gears open should I update or new axle?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Steven Brittain, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Steven Brittain

Steven Brittain New Member

Oct 3, 2017
    My newly acquired 78 has had a HO 305 put in it but the rear end still has 2.41 gears. It's a open rear I don't plan on racing it. I want better gears back there easy fix or need new complete axle?
    Thank you

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Gears, posi unit, and axles. Only other way would be if you found a complete rear in good used condition, with what you want, for a good price.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    If you go with anything from 2.73 to 5.13 you will need another differential because the 2.41 uses a 2 series and you will need a 3 series. There are many good limited slip differentials out there for the 8.5 rear end. One of the better package deals is from Quick Performance. You can get gears, Yukon Dura Grip differential and a USA Standard installation kit for under $600. Installing these parts is a something that requires a few special tools and you must know how to set up gears to get the correct contact pattern.

4. Steven Brittain

Steven Brittain New Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Thank you Big, sounds like a nice option but out of my wheelhouse on the technical side. Any ideas on cost to install just ball park thank you again.

5. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Labor can run from $250 to $600, depending on where you take it.

6. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Keep it. Until you can find what you want in a rear axle and overdrive trans. to match. 3.73 rear gears and a 200-4R make for a 2.49 rear gear, effectively, for example.

Steven Brittain likes this.
  7. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

dup.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017