78' Camaro LT1 Conversion Cali Smog Legal

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by supwicha, Feb 26, 2014.

1. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    No rust in the whole darn car except the left rear window channel. Needed to polish it out, do some welding/grinding. Then rust treatment with KBS coatings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Finally got my wheel sizes and tires figured out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joekool likes this.
  3. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    The previous hard work to keep the A/C finally paid off and works beautiful. It did not come without some snags along the way. I was able to use a stock accumulator that has the removable line in the bottom. I purchased all of my A/C fittings and hose from www.coldhose.com - Super nice and helpful people. I sized up the hose and clocked the fittings and had them crimped as I don't have the tool to crimp A/C hose. The first problem was that the high side was excessively high to the point that the relief valve vented. (no it was not overcharged, I charged with my A/C scale, 28oz). Turns out that the original caprice condenser houses the orifice tube. So in additional to the stock orifice tube at the evaporator, I also had a 2nd one in the condenser. Once removed, the pressures settled as they should and I was putting out 40º air at idle with an ambient of 105º which was perfect. The PCM properly controls the clutch as well as the primary and secondary fans. I also polished the new accumulator before installing. I'll post some photos of the A/C hoses and routing later.

I also had a successful wrecking yard run. Turns out my caprice axle was missing all of the parking brake hardware which is long discontinued and searching ebay was of no help. Every caprice I have found in the wrecking yard had drum brakes. I saw over the weekend that their inventory had recently received a caprice and the photo showed the wheels common to the 9C1 (police) which I knew would have rear disc brakes. I scrambled and made my way and to my surprise the rear axle was still in the car. After popping out the axles, I removed the entire backing plates from both sides, hardware, etc and $26 later had the final pieces.

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Nice work on this, its good the LS'ers didnt discourage you.

Tom

5. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Runs like a champ, paint and body is next up on the list :) Good to hear from you again!

6. FlynyrdSkynyrd

FlynyrdSkynyrd New Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    Did you ever take pictures of your a/c hoses and routing?

7. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  8. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    As far as the AC goes, I still have some detail work to perform but works fine. Since the orifice tube is located in the outlet of the condenser, I've insulated the high side return but I don't care for it. I'm going to use something else to insulate the line. When summer comes around again, I'll see how it performs without it.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Are you re-painting the car? With the paint you grinded off, ever consider just replacing the metal rather then POR over it? That's probably one of the most common areas people put band-aids on but that area and the window are structurally part of the car's rigidity.

10. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Yes, I'll be painting the car myself.
    This didn't just get treated over the top of the damage. The rust was removed (ground/cut out), welded, neutralized, encapsulated using KBS (not POR). Thanks for your comments.