78' Camaro LT1 Conversion Cali Smog Legal

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by supwicha, Feb 26, 2014.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    A t-top survivor. Nice.

Tom

2. '78rookie

'78rookie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Santa Cruz, California
    Supwhicha I noticed that you cut your engine mounting bracket a little, are you worried about the structural integrity of that bracket? I was able to mount my engine without doing so, but may have to cut a portion of mine to have clearance for the AC compressor to mount. Either that, get a shorter compressor or use the relocation bracket which would kind of suck

3. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    It should not be necessary to modify the shells, mine were from the caprice which were wrong. I now have shells for the camaro. Not likely is there a shorter compressor. You'll probably have to notch the frame, or use a relocation kit, or oem corvette accessory setup which puts the compressor high on the driver side.

4. '78rookie

'78rookie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Santa Cruz, California
    Exactly, bit my problem is that my compressor is interfering with my engine mounting bracket as well as the frame

5. '78rookie

'78rookie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Santa Cruz, California
    "Well after several months of staring at it, I finally broke down and spent about 10 hours this weekend on the PCM wiring and harness building. I would estimate that I am about 85% complete on the wiring. I also installed new exhaust studs in the bottom of the manifolds and installed the header pipe that houses the O2 sensors. Here's a few photos of the mess:"

Sorry my laptop is a mess right now.
    I'm curious, did you use the wiring from both vehicles that you had, or did you bring all of the wiring from your caprice over and figure out how to install is that way. I'm using a LT1 out of a 95 camaro paired with a T56 manual to do my swap, but I'm unsure that using just the wiring harness from my engine and pairing it with the wiring that is left from my chassis will work smog wise, if at all. Much aprreiciated

6. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    I only used the harness from the donor car (in my case the caprice) and tied it into the original Camaro harness. Since I was mounting the PCM in an alternate location, I completely separated the harness and cut everything about 16" away from the connectors for the PCM. I then connected all of the sensor connectors, routed them accordingly and shortened or lengthened as needed. I should also point out that I also used the power distribution box and harness that houses the relays such as Fans, A/C, Fuel Pump, etc. It is also simple to integrate this harness into your camaro harness as needed. Is your harness for a manual trans? If so, you'll be able to eliminate the harness for the auto trans. However, you will need to download a PCM calibration (assuming '95 model year PCM) and reprogram the PCM with a software version designed for manual transmission operation. The software and calibrations are free all day long easily. You'll need to either build a cable or buy one (I recommend you buy one, about $90) so you can connect your PCM to your PC or laptop for the updated software calibration. Lastly, once you calibrate your PCM, you will want to disable a few things such as PATS (security based ignition keys), or anything that you eliminate so you don't throw a light. In my case, the car has the air injection removed which as an approved TSB and subsequently removed. However, if you don't turn of the system that monitors this circuit, you'll throw a light. Blah, blah, blah. Hopefully this is not too confusing, if so let me know the specifics and I'll address them for you. Truthfully, building your own harness is a lot of work, more than I anticipated and I actually enjoy doing electrical as this is my specialty. However, all in all it was not an enjoyable experience as I had to shorten or lengthen over 100 individual circuits, if I had to do it again, I probably would purchase a harness ready to go. If money is tight and you have the time and patience, from a technical standpoint it is not very difficult to build one from scratch. I also soldered any connections that were modified, as well as heat shrinked. I also used nylon expandable wire loom to make it a clean install.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  7. '78rookie

'78rookie New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Santa Cruz, California
    That's really cool thank you. Basically game me a complete road map

8. BRDAPRY

BRDAPRY New Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Puyallup, Wa
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  9. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
  10. tj_in_nm

tj_in_nm New Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Las Cruces, NM
    New member (joined for the sake of this thread alone - great info), about to embark on much the same journey by using my complete '95 Caprice 9C1 as a donor vehicle for the long-neglected 1980 Firebird I've had since high school in 1988 but hasn't run since '94.

I have only one question for now - did you run into any clearance problems with the rear disc calipers and the staggered shocks?