78' Camaro LT1 Conversion Cali Smog Legal

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by supwicha, Feb 26, 2014.

1. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Hi to all, just starting my '78 LT1 project. I was fortunate enough to find a guy selling two camaros together. A '78 plane Jane, and a '79 T-Top car. They are both rust free and unbelievably they both ran. Picked up the pair for $1500. I purchased a retired '95 Caprice Police car with the 5.7 LT1 and a rebuilt GM trans for $650. Between eBay and Craigslist, I already sold enough parts to pay off the car and break even. I kept all wiring, computer, engine, trans, disc rear axle, coolers, everything that I'll need to do the conversion. Unfortunately I live in California and must still pass smog. I contacted the BAR here in California and spoke with the referee, so I have a good understanding what I must do to make it pass. The engine is tore down and the machine work is being performed as we speak. I plan on modifying the harness and lengthen portions of the harness in an attempt to conceal as much wiring and PCM as possible. I'm a bit concerned about modifying the O2 circuit, as I know they are sensitive to wire length on most applications. Any comments on that appreciated. I'm new to the forum, so this is my introduction. Looking forward to a successful project.

Attached Files:

2. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Some More Photos

Pre Tear-Down Photos:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Engine Out:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    More Photos II

Starting engine overhaul:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Hard to see in photos but these are a metallic pearl black:

[​IMG][/IMG]

Intake stripped, cleaned and painted high temp transparent metallic red. In person, parts painted this color look anodized.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

That's all for now.

4. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Finally back home!!!
    Wow I like what you did with painting the intake. That looks really good! Looking forward to seeing the progress. Sbca96 is a member here who has done a Cali legal LT1 and will have a wealth of information to offer for any questions you might have.

5. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Your a Lucky dog with the purchases and breaking even - looks good so far :)

6. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Interesting thread! Welcome aboard!!

7. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Thanks for the heads up on Sbca96, I'll be looking at his project for sure!

8. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Subscribed! I bet this one is gonna be good! Great detail already!

9. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Engine build is complete. Nothing fancy as I have to pass California smog. Engine machine work was received and performed correctly, took a couple days to assemble. Next step, pull the sub-frame strip, detail, and rebuild for the new powerplant.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Beautiful engine!!