78 camaro LT

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by NYLongshot, Oct 17, 2017.

1. NYLongshot

NYLongshot New Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi guys,
    Well some work was able to be done to the Camaro this year. I had rear pans installed to remove the last of any rot on the car. Ive had her since 1988 and she's in far better shape than when I first bought her some 30 years ago.
    I have a few questions and was curious on everyones opinions on the matter. The car originally had AC but it hasnt worked or been complete in a very very long time. I recently removed the heater box/core because I think it had a small leak and had planned on replacing the floor near the toe board. Luckily this wound up not having to be done but the core is now out. My first question is whether or not to try and restore the AC system or just blank off the firewall? The other option would be to put the original box back in but not complete the system. How would this effect the value etc. Id obviously save all the old components. Now if I did go with a blank off what is the best option here, because it seems there are a lot available and they all seem a bit different.

Thanx guys
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    There is a cover made that will cover the square hole that the a/c was going through on the firewall it also allows the heater to be used. The a/c box, if you’re not going to use it really gets in the way under the hood. I took out the a/c & heater in my 78 but still have it. I made a sheet metal cover to go over the a/c hole. If I were to go with a/c again I’d use some kind of retro fit system instead of the oem a/c. I don’t want that big ugly box in the engine bay.

3. jester0618

jester0618 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    I installed the blank plate from DSE. Fit real well, but now have realized that I want to install a vintage air. Hopefully just some holes and it'll work.

4. NYLongshot

NYLongshot New Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Boston MA
    I looked at the vintage air package but dont like that the controls dont look stock. Does anyone know of a company that incorporates the stock look into a new AC system?

5. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Not sure about an aftermarket AC system that looks stock, but you can use one of these to give you a non-AC system with factory parts https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1978/chevrolet/camaro/parts/14444.html

I think there's also an ABS version.

I stripped the internal box, ducting and controls on mine to just give me defog with hot-cold and 3 speeds (used a non-AC control facia with the directional controls blanked off)

Super simple/cheap and ended up with huge box of unnecessary factory parts, freeing up a ton of space behind the dash

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You could spend the time finding the pieces to make it look stock ,Or get an aftermarket kit like Vintage Air .If you want to keep air conditioning Or an aftermarket block off plate .and or like I did use an factory non ac heater box and modify it to fit .By moving re drilling the box to fit the AC heater core .among other pieces.