'78 and '79 turbine wheels

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by seventy7camaro, Oct 9, 2017.

1. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think it'd be in my best interest to have them done by someone who knows what they're doing... LOL . I haven't decided on a shop yet but surprisingly there are quite a few shops that do wheel restoration and/or repairs. They'll have them done and ready for me to pick up before I could even get started.

2. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    Who to go to is the question. I see a bunch of companies driving around advertising wheel repair. However, I'm not confident that they could restore a turbine rim. I feel that they exist for the modern day wheel. I came across these guys "detroitwheelandtire.com" but, I haven't called them yet.

3. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I tried the link. I got to the site, entered the make and model, and then found their info goes back only to 1982.

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    I believe they where good on the inserts
    My 79 came with gold

Glava likes this.
  5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
  6. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    Z28 poster rims 3.JPG Ok, here is the show room poster with the exact rims that were on the white 79 Z28 with red/ orange stripes and Carmine interior that I saw in 1980 when a guy wanted to trade them to me for my standard rims -but I wanted to keep my originals Z28 Poster Rims.JPG Z28 poster rims 2.JPG .
    So they came in light gold from the factory with my paint & interior combination -not sure about white with blue stripes.

7. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    Glava,

That's the correct wheel color for your interior trim color. Carmine interior would get the gold accented wheels, white exterior with black interior would get black accents, white with silver interior got the silver wheel accent. Of course, white with blue interior got the silver.

John

8. John Mangan

John Mangan New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Eagan, MN
    I have been trying to research the same thing, so thanks to all for the info. I just bought a 79 Z28 (White with light blue interior). It was a one owner and came with the black turbine wheels. Just doesn't look
    right to me. The build sheet does say silver, so I am thinking on changing the color back to silver. As with the rest of you, just need to find the right shop to do this.

79 Z28.JPG

9. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    Nice ride John, looks like it has been well taken care of. Not many left in such nice condition.

John