78-81 owners

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by andrew1977, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew1977

andrew1977 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2006
    parksvegas, BC
    Theres threads about 70-73s, 74, and 77s. there isnt really a good thread about the rubber nose cars, so i figure i would start one.

post pics of your car, progress, project, pile of parts, anything that has to do with 78-81 camaros. lets here storys about how you got them, why you bought a 78-81 over other years.

ill start i guess.

it all began with me growing up, and my dad having a blue 80z28. it was a 350 4 speed car, it had bowtie heads, flat top pistons, big cam, and the usual edelbrock stuff. i remember riding in the car with my dad, (i was about nine years old) he used to race 5L mustangs and porches all the time. I loved that car, i remember i used to sit in it, go through the gears.... haha, i told my dad about how i used to pretend to drive, he replied with "thats why it was always flooded". thats what got me into the late model 2nd gens at a young age. the blue 80z28 was sold when i was about 10 years old, and rolled by the next owner. We were told the car was doing somthing like 140+mph when it crashed.

Fast forward 5 years of absolutly no hot rods, i was 16 years old and itching for a camaro. One day i got a phone all from my grandpa saying how he saw a camaro forsale for $2900. i went and looked at it... i was disapointed to find out it was a 77 LT (i wanted a 78-81 z28). i ended up buying it anyways for $2500.

I still wanted a 78-81 z28, but i didnt have the moneybecause i was busy building the 77LT. fast forward a year of fun with the big bumper camaro, one day i was dreaming about an 80z28 i found on craiglist while at school, i told my dad about it when i got home and he actually wanted to go look at it. well we bought it with intensions for a father son project, but it turned into a son project because my dad was busy with his supercharged mustang.:rolleyes: we paid $1500 for the z28

here is the pic from the craiglist ad, it wore its original paint, and the interior was untouched. it was missing the motor and trans, and needed a full resto.
    [​IMG]
    heres a pic of it when i got it home. its a 350 4 speed car, 3.08 posi, delux interior, pwr windows and locks, T-tops non AC.
    [​IMG]
    im in the slow process of restoring the 80z28 now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres anouther car i picked up, its a base model 1980 camaro. i bought it from a kid in town for $400. i didnt need anouther camaro, but i did need a daily driver, so i traded my dad the camaro for a 99 GMC jimmy that needed head gaskets and a tranny.
    [[​IMG]
    the car ran and drove great, but my dad wasnt happy with the 267, so he put a zz502 in, a few weeks ago i put in the th400, and the 9"
    [​IMG]

one day while looking for parts for my 80z28 i found a guy that has a few in his yard, we got to talking and i found out his son has an 81z28 forsale. i told my dad about the car, my dad contacted the son, and we found out that we know the car, we inspected it at my dads shop a few years ago. we brought it to my dads shop and had a second look. my dad ended up buying it for just over $10k. the car is absolutly mint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its original, un restored, original paint in great shape. its an 81z28 auto, 342 posi, pwr windows and locks. a few weeks ago he blew up the origonal trans racing me in my 77 camaro :(

now lets here you story, and see you pics.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Cool story Andrew. I agree on not having a thread for the 78-81 cars. Maybe if the powers that be see this, they will make it a sticky. Then all 2nd gen. years will be covered :bowtie:

3. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] heres my 78

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  4. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Edison NJ USA
    Well i was into bikes before i was into cars, i would bring home any bike anyone was throwing out, for parts or just to put together with missmatched parts to make weird looking bikes. My mom was the fun nazi she wouldnt let me have anything with an engine bolted to it because after all thats to dangerous so i was always peddeling myself around, everytime i would attach a weedwhacker engine to something to make it motorized they would throw it out when i was sleeping.My family always had older cars because we couldnt afford anything new so my dad was always outside fixing something,him and his friends had cool cars back in the day but none while i was alive. I just heard stories from people.About 1999 my grandmother just died and my brother was getting his drivers liscence soon so he inherited grandmas 1978 nova 2door with a 305 and automatic because no one else in the family wanted it.My dad helped him work on it as well as my cousin who is an auto mechanic and they got it back into shape. The 305 wasnt fast enough so brother decided to buy a goodwrench crate and some vortec heads the new best thing and swap it out, by this time i was 15 and getting to old for bikes and wanted a car,my first choices were montecarlo ss, 2dr 78-80's malibu,or a firebird or camaro,the first 2 options were to expensive,then came firebird or camaro. Well pops has some hate toward pontiac for some reason so were off looking for some maros. We looked for a while and anything that was nice had a 350 and the fun nazi said its to fast so we were left with 6cylinders. We looked for a while and we finally found one through a guy my dad works with in the guys brothers junkyard, a nice 1981 camaro v6 gold with a black interior and a v6 with a nice rod knock, 500 beans and the old man got it to keep me off his back, looking for the cheapest one he could find figuring i would start on it give up and he would get it towed away (well that never happened and it was just the begining).Well older brother has the wee little 305 just sitting around from his nova so i took that put in the goodwrench cam that came out of his new 350 and off i went to my first engine build.Thats where my user name came from, little brother with the old 3slo5. The orignal 81 camaro i had was rearended and totalled, since then i have been building cars and the addiction never stopped it just keeps on going.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    jawknee21 likes this.
  5. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    I'll throw my story into the hat.

It was 1990 and my good friend had a cool 71. It was a rust bucket and it had a 307 in it but it was a loud sounding V8 and I was hooked. I turned 16 and was presented with a 1974 Pontiac Grandville 2dht. It had a 455 in it and would roast off the 225/70/15's but it kind of lacked a cool factor with the crowd I ran with. My social studies teacher was the executor of a estate for her friend that passed away from cancer. She told me she had a Camaro she would sell me cheap. I was stoked. I went over to her house and there was a mint, never touched 79 Camaro. I went thru the interior and it was cool, all stock burgundy on burgundy car. I lifted the hood and scratched me head as I looked at this engine. It did not look like my friends V8. It was straight and long. I was not sure if I wanted it but my parents insurance company made up my mind for me. No V8 sports cars for a new driver. So off I went in my straight six 79 sport coupe. I drove that car for three years and enjoyed it but never really thought about what I had. I traded it in on a 1984 S-10 ext cab 4x4 in 1992.

I had several cars from then untill 2007 when I was seriously looking for a untouched 80-81 Z28 cause of the air induction hood. I put in a want ad and a member here sent a PM and told me about a 79. It was everything I was looking for except the hood and the color. That member told me about the rarity and originality of the car in that color so I ran with it. First came fixing all the lights and signals, then the interior got ripped out and all bad stuff replaced or dye'd and then the paint job. I drove the car for over a year and enjoyed the heck out of it. After bringing it home from the turkey rod run I decided it was time to do the motor. The person I bought it from built it. I learned a lot from all that and all of you i'm sure know all the drama that I had but it all worked out in the end. It all worked out just in time to hear those 6 words from the VP of my company that so many have heard, "We have to lay you off". I finally had a car that was fun to drive and took me back to my youth and I was looking at having to sell. Well, with a new job that worry is no more. I have plans to replace the holley carb with a jet performance quadrajet soon and then money gets put away for the year one 17in 5 spokes seeing my car came with the 15in version. It is a fun car and has given me the opportunity to meet some really fine folks. I hope to add another to my stable maybe by the end of next year but i'm happy with mine right now. The car is stock appearing but with these mods:

Headman headers
    Holley 600 carb
    Edelbrock intake
    Full dual exhaust
    Sony CD Player

It was fun working on this car and a lot of you helped me get this car to the point where it is. I've restored it, driven it and now am getting to the point where i'd like to start with simple modifications to kind of make it my own. Here are a couple threads and you can see my progress.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126125
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127943
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112621
    [​IMG]

6. andrew1977

andrew1977 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2006
    parksvegas, BC
    good storys! haha 3slo5, your fun nazi sounded like my dad when i first got my camaro LOL. he was saying how he was going to de-tune my 305 LOL. that didnt happen though.

7. walleye72ss

walleye72ss New Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Kamsack, SK CANADA
    here is my 81 camaro z-28 all numbers matching, i just got it back after 3 years. i sold it to build my garage and now the owner lost interest in it and drove it only twice since i sold it to them. i bought it back for way less than i sold it it only has 50,000 miles on it. here is one pic i have of it so far:D

Attached Files:

8. RC79camaro

RC79camaro Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Greenville, SC
    Very cool stories guys! now heres mine:

My dad bought a 79 RS camaro new Nov 22 1978, He daily drove it until about 1990 then parked it behind my grandparents house, when it sat until 2000 when i at the age of 13 started tinkering with it, i put a battery, and with the help of a lil starting fluid it cranked right up! Ive since done numerous things with the car!
    orginal:
    [​IMG]

first start up day:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

9. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    1979 RS Camaro

I bought this back in 1997, I was 15 yrs old and cutting grass for money.

I paid $500 for the car minus the motor and hood. We brought it from Odessa to Kermit, where I began stripping it down to a shell and started sanding it down to stop the surface rust that was on it. Then I rebuilt the front end suspension and rear end suspension.

Then I began on the motor which I pulled out the 350 from the 78 Chevy truck I was driving at the time while cutting grass. Since I upgraded to a F350 I wasn't missing the old truck. I built the 350 up with scat crankshaft, flat top with valve relief piston, Vortec Heads, with 274H Extreme Energy Comp Cam, Air Ga intake, Harland Sharp full roller rocker arms, MSD HEI Distributor, 750 DP holley, and a few other upgrades over stock. Transmission is a th400 with stock stall converter right now, but plan for a 2800 stall converter. Rearend is a 10 bolt 8.5 with stock innards but with 4.10 gears and clutch posi. Fuel system is currently stainless steel braided line from carb to fuel tank with a Holley Blue pump. Using third generation rims that I had sand blasted and powder coated black. Brakes are stock for now.

Interior is still stripped and I need to get the new electrical system put in and body work done. But other then that it's never really going to be finish! LOL

After I sanded the car and painted it red oxide primer.
    [​IMG]

Before suspension,
    [​IMG]

After,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Air Filter is just there to keep it covered until I get the right size.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I bought a '78 sport coupe in January of '79. I have no pictures of that car. :(

I drove it year around for 13 years until Minnesota winters claimed too much of the sheet metal to call it a car anymore.
    In the early 90s... I found an almost rust-free 80 Berlinetta with some decent options and a knocking V6 for $700.
    I transplanted the drive train from my 78 and got a cheap paint job, replaced the carpet and headliner and called it a driver.
    (I lost my wife in '94 and was raising two little boys so the car sat in my garage for 10 years with almost no time or money to do anythng with it.)

When the heater core sprung a leak a few years ago, I discovered NastyZ28 while searching for info.

The rest is history.

[​IMG]

jawknee21 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.