78-79 hood scoop mod

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Blue1979, Dec 3, 2011.

1. cpm72z28

cpm72z28 New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Hampton, VA
    I did it on my 72. I don't drive it in the rain EVER though and wouldn't recommend it either.

[​IMG]

2. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...I cut out the fiberglass scoop with a dremel , leaving just the ends to bolt the fake screen back on . I drilled out almost all the holes in the slots on that screen and bolted it back on , and I also bolted on a 80 -81 lower air scoop ring under the hood. Using a K&N filter and lid. Been caught in many rain storms , no issues.Hope that helps, DC:bowtie:

3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Post #494 is where it starts. Shows how i did everything. I tried to avoid atleast rain that runs up the hood going down the road. Being sucked in well theres not much you can do but i dont think it would pull in much. However i dont drive in rain either.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144866&page=33

4. Blue1979

Blue1979 Veteran Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Rapid City, SD
    Thank you everyone for all your help!!! You have given me much to consider haha

5. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    I did this on one I sold. I used gutter guard material from Home Depot:innocent:
    I left some extra on the inside and folded it towards the front and held in w/screws. You can see the screws at the bottom of the mesh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

.Thanks Vinnie :crazy:

7. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

I know there was a really cool billet aluminum insert that someone made and put an extra on eBay a couple months back. Anyone have pics of that? I thought is was sweet except for the center brace it had...

8. Blue1979

Blue1979 Veteran Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Rapid City, SD
    Quick question....I took that backing plate holding the metal grille thing on the scoop, and I was grinding of the surface rust off that plate, and I discovered a little four leaf clover stamped into the plate. Does anyone know what that is for?

9. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    not sure its on the washer jug bracket too.

10. marlin

marlin Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Wantagh, NY
    Looked into this same thing a while ago and came to the conclusion (with the help of nastyz28 members) that you would recieve close to zero benefit and some rain issues.

As pointed out, the way that particular scoop is, it really won't "ram" air into it. Also take a look at drag car scoops and you start getting the picture (boundry layer air flow).