77' Z28 Resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by HBomb, Oct 29, 2017.

1. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    I should have started a progress thread a very long time ago, but I spend more time creeping these forums for info and help than I do posting. But I finally decided to heck with it, time for a build thread.

I know the big bumper cars aren't the most popular and I'll be honest were I able to find one, my dream Camaro is a 72' Z, but they are incredibly rare around here. But I also started life out in the back seat of my mom's 77' Type LT so I have a soft spot for the big bumper cars too. I spent a few months looking for the right project car to start, was set on a 77 since I really wanted a Z and I wanted a manual because for me nothing beats the feeling of grabbing gears. So I finally came across this rusty gem in March of last year that I really overpaid for in my desperation to finally find the right car :screwup:.

[​IMG]

I drove it home 50 miles and nearly lit it on fire on the way because it leaked so badly there was oil smoke filling the cab. Figured first thing would be to do some top end gaskets and decided a simple set of vortec heads would be an easy upgrade on the 350. But from there it was straight to my work to start the body. (I'm a painter in a body shop ;))

[​IMG]

Separate owners had previously replaced the quarter panels, one side done somewhat properly and and workable while the other side done very very badly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It also had a nasty 70's aftermarket sunroof installed which I hated, but the guy I bought the car off gave me a t-top from a 79 donor car that I planned to install.
    [​IMG]

The car needed fenders, and some love on the rotted doors as well.
    [​IMG]

2. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    The first order was to start stripping the car down and my trusted body tech decided to tackle the t top swap first.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sand blasted the peeling black spraybombed wheels and chose a nice dark charcoal colour for them
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I ripped the warped dash pad out and started to paint the dash, header and firewall.

[​IMG]

3. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    I put the car up on jack stands and decided since everything was apart, let's do all the control arm bushings and balljoints and paint the arms, coils and frame which was plasted with the old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the drivers quarter panel which was so brutally replaced was tackled. Which then turned into a wheel housing and a trunk extension since it was all rot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The body tech then changed the drivers door skin which was too rotted to salvage and luckily the previous owner had supplied one, beat up and a bit dented but it worked.
    Then test fit.
    [​IMG]

4. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    At this point I had let my mom pick the colour the car was going to be. I had picked black but no one seemed to agree. My mom fighting cancer and being my inspiration she had said red, so I handed her the mass of red colour chips and said take your pick. She picked a good one, a tri-stage candy red fresh for the 2016 lexus lineup called Infrared. So the inner jams began to get colour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was then left up to me to hone my patch welding and plug welding skills and fix the remaining door and skin we were salvaging since shells are incredibly expensive and this was still a budget resto. Good condition used shells are absolutely non-existent here too.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    While the car was still raw steel I epoxy primed the whole thing. Rust is an inevitable demon on these cars unless you absolutely replace everything. A car like this just never has the value to be worth that extent of investment. So I sanded a much down bare as I possibly could and rust morted bad areas in hopes of at least getting a few years before it starts to show up again.
    [​IMG]

This way it was treated before any filler work began and since the car spent a lot of time sitting and not being worked on even in a shop the humidity could start the corrosion process again and I wasn't taking chances.
    I then sprayed my inner rockers and pillars for colour.
    [​IMG]

The body tech put the doors back on and I started on the filler work, wish I could say it didn't have any in it but the only way to get it perfectly straight is to skim it with filler and icing.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately a car doesn't spend this much time in our shop and not find some sort of mishap. One day while it was sitting in a prep stall, my coworker had turned the heat up to high in the stalls and the overhead fire sprinkler system went off. The Z was filled with water in a matter of seconds. We rolled it out as fast as we could but it was too late. I was now forced to strip out the interior completely. I dried out the carpet but the underlay wasn't salvageable. I was pleased to find that the floor was in amazing shape save for one little rust hole down in the corner no bigger than a pencil eraser. Treated the spot, plugged the hole. Much less invasive than a new floor panel.
    [​IMG]

The front seats needed recovering and since I had to take them out after the flood I took them home and did them. Must say for having never done upholstery I was pretty pleased. I left the seat buttons off, I like the clean look better and really, the car is far from original at this point. The creases have worked out more since doing them.
    [​IMG]

6. 77camarottop

77camarottop Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    mainly looked at pics but curious what color you are going to paint. red i would assume. i have a 77 buckskin factory 350 four speed car with dealer installed t tops and i added z28 graphics. turned out nice, only t top one i have seen.

7. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Blocking and more blocking even on brand new panels. Has to be straight!
    [​IMG]

I used felt to recover the rear parcel shelf and mounted 6x9 speakers underneath to keep it clean looking.
    [​IMG]

I blocked the whole car once and primed it again.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More block sanding before one final prime
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Front seats back in and my boss wanted to do some engine timing adjustment with his fancy timing light before I did a final finishing sand and got her in the booth. I was getting super nervous at this point. I paint cars all day every day but there was so much riding on it, so much expectation behind this. So many people bugging me for months asking when it would be done. It was literally keeping me up at night.
    [​IMG]

8. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    And then it went in the booth. I spent over 6 hours on a Saturday getting it done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I painted the black first and then masked off how I wanted my stripes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This colour really works out to a 4 stage because it requires a tinted coverage coat before the colour.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Welcome to Nasty Z , car looks awesome, i love that Lexus 3 stage red I've sprayed it quite a few times it's going to look great

10. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Then goes the pearl red basecoat and off came the stripe masking
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The mid coat to make it a candy is a red tinted clearcoat in two coats, I went over the black with it since it wouldn't change it anyways.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then two more coats of regular clear.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]