74 Z28 engine rebuild time

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by younda, Jan 15, 2018.

1. younda

younda Member

Jun 26, 2015
    MA USA
    I'm interested in anyone's experience with rebuilding their 74 Z28. Specifically what was done keeping stock quadrate and manifolds but open to head/cam upgrades. I am not an engine person but am being told the stock heads are not worth rebuilding and I'm not seeking maximum hp but good drivability. I'm also interested in rebuilder references in the northeast.

2. younda

younda Member

Jun 26, 2015
    MA USA
    I planned on a stock rebuild but I’m told better heads and a mild cam can make big difference in power.
    Very interested in what others have done with 74’s.

Attached Files:

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I have seen stock replacement heads for cheap but I can't remember where.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I have heard of "hybrid" heads that combine the best features from the LS heads into a bolt on for Gen 1's

There are also the new Trick Flow double hump replica heads made from aluminum that are supposed to be really good. I know your car didn't have double humps originally, but it is period correct in appearance, if that matters. Paint them orange and few could tell. All depends on your budget.

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That engine already has a more than mild cam in it, so depending on which aftermarket "mild cam" you choose, it could easily be a downgrade.

7. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Ky
    Mild upgrades are always mild.You have options for a 350.They can make 200 HP or 400 HP,on pump gas.Pick the best heads for your budget,and go from there.

8. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Ky
    Rebuild the engine you have.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    You could always rebuild your stock engine with .030 over pistons.Stock crank and connecting rods machined as needed .a decent set of stock Chevy or aftermarket heads with 20.2 /1/60 valves .maybe port-matched to an Performer or Corvette intake .Something like an Corvette L-82 or aftermarket camshaft . And have your Q jet and distributor tuned to match ,

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The factory heads have 2.02 valves and the factory cam already in the engine is the L82 cam. For an engine like this, no changes are necessary to get a good performing car.