74 Z28 Bumper Restoration

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by 74Z28GC3, Nov 13, 2014.

1. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Does anyone know of a good shop that can restore my two 74 Camaro bumpers by sanding/polishing them? If you do, please provide me a name & number.

Thanks,
    George

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    George the original finish I believe is bright anodized aluminum. There are some places that do that and will need researched. I feel any good autobody man could sand and buff them to shine as per your request here. I was going to experiment with a old bumper some day to see what they would look like. Maybe ask this question in the body restoration section to get opinions.

3. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Ron, I had already written a post in the in body restoration section, but nobody wrote comments about my question.

Thanks for your comments.
    George

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  4. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    That's a WIeRD finish GM used and it's tuff as nails .

I think long ago I read in a thread of a fellow sending his off or carrying them to a special shop or factory that redid them with original finish. I thinking not many places do items that big

After reading that ...I think ..if it were me ....I'd try and find , buy the best ones I could and skip the restoration. .....sound like a huge pain....unless you were hooked up with that factory .

5. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    For what its worth here, Bumper Boyz can Restore the aluminum bumpers and its reasonable. I have spoken with a prominent Camaro restorer that has used them and said they were nice. I would have to see one to believe the quality.

6. 77camarottop

77camarottop Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    i would like to have mine redone on my 77 as well, about the only thing i have left to restore. mine are not bad but not great.

i spoke with bumper boys at a swap meet and he said they have them in cali i think and you can send them your cores. not cheap but not sure there are other options.

i don't want to paint mine but may have to.

7. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    I saw a post from 2008 , where a guy with a 77 model......sandblasted the old factory finish off and then polished the metal to a high gloss ....then sealed it with CLEAR powder coating .

Looked pretty good .....actually more like chrome shine than the factory sealed original

So that's a do - it -yourself alternative...

8. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That was my bumpers. They turned out looking nice. I get a lot of positive comments on them. If you elect to go that route, keep this in mind. If there are any pits in the bumper once the buffing is done, there cannot be any residual in the pits. Once powder coated, each pit will be black! We experienced this twice before the bumpers finally turned out right. I think they used a steam cleaner to get all the residual out. The powder coater ended up not charging me anything.

9. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Ron, I have been doing some research about Bumper Boyz and from what I have seen on the web is that there reviews are not too good. I am kind afraid to purchase bumpers from them with shipping and found out after getting them that the quality may be not be that great. I wish I could see the quality is before purchasing a $350.00 bumper.

I am like you, I would need to see one before I believe the quality. Do a search about them and you will see a lot of bad reviews and one on Youtube about them.

George

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  10. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Did you have your blue Camaro bumpers blasted or sanded and then put on a clear powdercoat? Please explain your process about how they were done. There is a guy up here in Fairbanks that could powdercoat them for me.

George