74 Z28 Build - Stock appearing performer

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jeep43, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Fenders, nose and header panel on and aligned (as best as possible). The gap between the header panel and the bumper seems a little large. I don't think I have much room to jockey the header panel, maybe I can raise the bumper by taking up all the bolt hole slop in the up direction. The grille received the correct emblem. Tonight I am going to install the inner fender liners (previous pictures show them in but I yanked them for fender install).

thumbnail (1).jpg

Later this week I'll work on installing the headlight buckets, front lights, valence and front spoiler.

I'm on track to be on the road by April barring any issues.

2. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    My front valance is pretty beat but usable. Multiple cracks and other damage.

I ended up making these sheet steel reinforcing plates for both valance ends. It makes up for the blown out bolt holes and gives the J nuts something to clip to. I did not bond it to the valance so it can move a bit. The J nuts that are attached to the non-damaged areas just pin it in place.

valance reinforcements.jpg

The rest of the valance was pretty flimsy from the mutiple cracks and what not. I used CA adhesive to try to fix the cracks quickly and then bolted the 3 piece front spoiler to it. The spoiler adds quite a bit of rigidity to the otherwise weak valance. Considering the spoiler set covers over all the damages areas, when I go to paint this car, I think I'll be able to save it.

Front spoiler.jpg

3. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Fooling with the bumper hardware didn't work. I even flipped the bumper springs with no joy. The manual says .79 min, .89 per design. My gap is 1 1/8. I can move the frame brackets up and out but am already too far out as it is.

I think it's the solid bushings mounting the rad support compared to the original collapsed bushings before. I suppose when I take it down again I can have the bushings trimmed in a lathe to get a closer gap. But then again could just be a victim of the big bumper design....

4. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Shaving your new bushings down will mess up your fender alignment, would be better to tuck and lift the bumper by modifying the mounts http://nastyz28.com/threads/77-camaro-project-update-bumper-mods-more.113756/page-2