74 Z28 Build - Stock appearing performer

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jeep43, Jan 23, 2018.

1. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    Love the progress but can you please post some pictures of the heater blower motor cover for reference

Thank you and car looks bad @ss!!!!

2. duane28

duane28 Veteran Member

Aug 14, 1999
    Berne, NY
    I had a car nearly identical to this back in the early 90's, but it was too far gone to save. Have the rims on my 72 now. Fantastic job bringing it back!

3. kyphur

kyphur Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Nice build. I have a 74 Z28 Type LT that I've had for about 11 years now. Original engine and th400 trans but I'm swapping in a 525hp LS3 crate and already have an 01 t56 in there. Looking forward to seeing more on this thread.

4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    Great build. Thanks for all the pictures along the way.

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Rustoleum. Its not a primer, just a brown paint. I thought the seller said it was called cappuccino which drove me nuts because the cap of this is much darker that what he painted it with. But I did a test and it matched. Very similar to the original color that i unearthed after stripping all the undercoating off.

paint 2.jpg paint.jpg

heater box.jpg Do you need a better pic?

6. 72BIGBLOCK

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    Thank you so much !! That helps huge

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    This is as of today. I painted and installed some bumper brackets along with the wheel houses. The wheel houses are loose for now. The pass side needs work. The panel under the battery was rotted on my 74 wheel house so I removed it from the well itself and took a good (better) panel off of a crunched used one. I didn't want to weld it and find it doesnt match up so once the fender is aligned, I will bolt the panel to the well temporarily. I will weld it permanently or just replace it when I paint the car....

1-3-18-1.jpg 1-30-18-2.jpg

The radiator is not the factory one but its copper/brass and 3 core so I had it boiled out and painted. The original fan shroud was in nice shape and cleaned up good enough to not need to be painted.

I tore the heavy as heck front bumper assembly apart and surprisingly it disassembled with little fuss. I hate not figuring a way to drop some weight out of this assembly but whatever. The bumper leaves need to get cleaned and blasted. The smaller brackets are soaking in evapo-rust.

Pypes headpipes are on order and I will need to get out the die grinder to try to improve the stock manifolds some. Not sure what to do for the rest of the exhaust. I do want a transverse setup and not the flowmaster one. So that leaves pypes and thrush.....

8. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 15, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx, USA
    Nice work! Very clean. What are you going to do with the bumpers? I would suggest modifying the brackets to suck the bumper closer to the body and then painting them body color. They look really good that way (at least as good as you can make a bumper car look)

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  9. 72BIGBLOCK

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    I believe you have a gasket for the cover on the blower motor ?

Where did you get it? because I can’t find one. I’m actually thinking of using the one off a Chevelle because they have a kit

10. 72BIGBLOCK

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    Beautiful car by the way !!!!

Keep up the awesome work