74 Z28 Build - Stock appearing performer

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jeep43, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    The engine is in at this point, sitting on energy suspension poly mounts at all 3 points. In my last couple of carburated cars I used a quiet mallory pump out back and a gutted mechanical fuel pump. This time I got a hi po carter pump. The electric was nice in that priming the carbs after tuning was easy and no heat soak. But with iron manifolds heat soak wont be an issue and I'll just manually prime.

engine in.jpg

2. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Your progress is looking very nice. What type of Chevy orange paint did you use on your engine?

3. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Fullerton, CA
    I have one that I'm willing to part with if you're interested. PM me and we can work out the details.

Awesome looking project! When you're motivated, taking the whole front end off doesn't seem that difficult! Can't wait to see pix of it back on the road.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I would seriously consider getting aftermarket upper control arms. Believe me when I say you won't get the most out of the rest of the other suspension mods with factory arms and the limited alignment specs they offer.

G-braces are another highly recommended item but it would detract from stock appearing so not sure if youre up for that.

Nonetheless, the car is looking really good!

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Duplicolor I think? Whatever they sell at Advance auto. Not too thrilled with the durability, it chips easily. The color strikes me as kinda bright too but then again for a while the only orange I was using was Hemi Orange.....

I believe it. Limited caster with the stock setup I imagine. I'm going to get it on the road and drive it and then let it evolve from there.

6. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
  7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I started my 1979 Z-28 RS build a little at a time .Because I was in the Marine Corps at time.So between money issues and deployements .And having to be able to drive the car. I wasn`t able to do anything major until I had a really good job.And was able afford another car for a daily driver .And make the Camaro a "toy".There is a number of us who have done it a similar way.So Good luck to you on your build.

Attached Files:

8. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Your project car is coming along very nicely. Doing a great job.
    When you get a chance can you check what month and week your car was built.

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looking great! Love all the pics.

10. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    What brand name of primer did you purchase from Home Depot to paint underneath?