74 Z/28 Air Car Column shift

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by Chevrolet_Thund, May 20, 2016.

1. Chevrolet_Thund

Chevrolet_Thund New Member

May 19, 2016
    Warren, Michigan
    I have heard of Camaro's with column shift, but have NEVER seen a Z with one, has anyone else seen or heard of this?

V.I.N.1S87T4N188329, Silver, black cloth, Air, fact Bumper Guards Front and Rear

ST74. 1FS87. N. 185589 BDY
    TR 776. A51 64 64. PNT
    O4 A. Z28. BLK

68,111 on the odometer, fact radio is gone, care was very rusty when I bought it but had a perfect interior and all dated glass...HAD, until some asshat shot the car up with a shotgun on my property in northern lower of Michigan, I know who did it but proving??? Good luck

When I ran the vin 10 years ago through GM database as I did contract work for SPO, it came back 10 or less produced with my options, but it's minimum was 10, so I was told to expect that it was the only Known car optioned as is, the chances of 9 more would be doubtful but not improbable, I need help restoring this car, I will need parts, can anyone help?

Fenders and inner fenders are what comes too mind first, black interior, black roof liner.

I have another z body shell mint that I will use to clone the car unless another clean column shift body can be found... Any help would be great!

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    With about 150,000 Camaros made in 1974, about 135,000 had a console. That leaves roughly 15,000 cars without console or about 10% of production. Of those 15,000 all automatic equipped cars would be column shift, Z28 or not.

4. Chevrolet_Thund

Chevrolet_Thund New Member

May 19, 2016
    Warren, Michigan
    That is what my research turned up too, but Vin specific it turned up with 10 as optioned, Air, column shift and fact bumper guards, this is the only other than base model option's, cloth was also an option color, materials, but the stand out was fact bumper guards, far more common in 76-77 but rare in 74.

What I want to hear or read here is someone else who can show a documented 74 Z/28 that is Column shift. I know in 1970 they were real Common and also thru all Z cars 70-74, but I have the only known One can we agree on that?

End game, restore and sell, cancer took the wind out of my sails, I beat it but at a cost!

Looking for parts, please help!

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    there's no real way to tell exactly how many were optioned that way ( like a mopar ). not through the vin or anything .i guess it means someone didn't like a console . the A/C and Z28 alone is as much as probably every other option together . so its no stripper for sure . just a car someone wanted . sounds nice though get some pictures .

6. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    There was one for sale in California, it had the column shift and the T with the tag. 5-6k if I recall it was a year ago. They do exist, probably very very few. Def not desirable. Rare for sure. I'm sure it's gone by now. That said I didn't inspect it but it looked right. No spoiler either.

7. djgriff

djgriff Member

May 9, 2009
    van nuys , CA
    i had a 1974 type LT Z28 that was a factory column shift with no console which i thought was odd ,mostly because it was a type lt it was an factory ac car with tilt wheel and adjustable driver seat back(kind of a joke) It was a legit T engine code thm400 3.42 posi rear Z and this just shows they were made this way(why i can only guess) i wound up putting a floor shifter and console in it before i sold it a few years back

8. fdeluca532

fdeluca532 New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    winthrop harbor,ill
    I looked a a red 1974 z28 and it had a column shifter. all of the car looked correct. at the time it seemed odd