74 Camaro Trim Tag Conundrum

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by mallard, Aug 31, 2015.

1. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2013
    SK, Canada
    First off I want to congratulate those responsible for this site. Further, I want to thank the informed posters who have shared their information here. I think I've learned about as much about my 74 Z28 in the last few months from this site, than I have in the 31 years that I've owned it. It was originally purchased new in Manitoba Canada, then found it's way to Alberta. I bought it in 1984 and brought it back to Saskatchewan, where I live and have had it ever since.

However, I have a bit of a goofy problem albeit quite small in the overall scheme of things. My car is a 74 Type LT Z28. According to the trim tag, it was built during the second week in April, 1974. It's has the T10 Transmission and is/was a points car. The tag discloses correctly that it's a 75 paint code medium red (which it is) however, it also says it has a "776" interior. Now, according to my searches, this code means it's supposed to have black vinyl with white inserts. It does not. It's black with black inserts. One of the things that sold me on the car in the first place was the lower mileage (46,000 then, 56,000 now) and the relatively unmolested stock appearing interior. As I've had another 74 Z type LT before, the interior appeared totally correct. Now I'm wondering how it could have a different interior (albeit stock) than what the trim tag says. (admittedly I wouldn't care much for a red car with a black and white interior, would look too much like a barber pole)

Any ideas? (one that made me wonder was could the car have been built with the wrong interior than what the customer had ordered and somehow the dealer had to "make it right").

2. 71Z28RS

71Z28RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Toronto
    First off welcome to the forum and I like you have learned so much about Camaros in the past few months that I've known my whole life thanks to everybody else here and that goes without saying includes MadMike.

I will be the first one to tell you that pictures , here go along way
    so feel free to post the pictures of your tag and a few shots of the interior
    I think you will get some better responses from your fellow forum mates

You can also contact George at GM historical Society since it is a Canadian vehicle he would be able to provide you with documents in regards to all the options that came with your specific vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
  4. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    LT seats were very comfortable and the BLK 776 was great looking. The only problem I ever had was the handles breaking.

5. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2013
    SK, Canada
  6. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    This is a picture of board member Jonesy 74 Z28 LT that has the 776 interior. Please look at his trim tag. Also, here is a picture of his low mile 74 Z interior that is black with the black cloth insert. I hope this information will give you a better idea about what type of interior should be in your 74 Z28 LT. Looks like you have the correct interior color and type.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2013
    SK, Canada
    Thanks for the info. That interior is like mine. There appears to be an error in the web site I was looking at and the knowledgeable posters such as yourself appear to have cleared this all up for me. Thanks again.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Minnesota
    That website you are referencing is crap!! Yep that's my interior 776 cloth.

[​IMG]

9. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    Lots of bad info there. Crap is being nice lol

10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2013
    SK, Canada
    Do you have an email address or other contact info for this "George"?