74-77 Camaro Z28 Front Spoiler Ends Bolts/Nuts used for Installation the lower valance

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by 74Z28GC3, Aug 12, 2017.

1. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Does anybody know what size of bolts and nuts are used to attached black front spoiler ends to the lower valance panel of a 74-77 Camaro Z28?

Thanks,
    George

2. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    As my Assembly manual appears to be incomplete , i can find no D80 front spoiler parts breakdown. Someone with a set of old counter parts books could nail this down for you.

i don't know for certain if my fasterners are original. They look it ....rust ..LOL
    I do not know the thread count or size . The small machine bolts are about overall 3/4 inch long , Everything is black oxide . The head is hex countersunk with rim around edge ....not flat head hex.....there is an raised "A" at the center of each head. An oxide washer spins loose on each bolt , but is pressed on to not fall off or rather back down off the threads. . The upper last 1/4 inch of the bolt shaft is threadless , where the washer spins . This seems logical to pass though both the smooth bore of the valence panel and plastic spoiler body piece. The head is smaller odd one , takes a 5/16 socket , the nut is also oxide with built on lockwasker . The nut takes a 3/8 wrench .

The Z braces you need four oxide bolts , the hex head is 1/2 socket i think. The brace holes themselvesare threaded , they mount such that the braces perform for the function of nuts and pull all the parts together. You just need to test some bolts in the brace threads to get the correct size . I think they 3/8 just eyeballing , but they also might be fine threaded too ? They 1/2 inch long. Don't tighten the small edge bolts too much , might crack the expensive plastic spoiler pieces . I believe mine also have oxide washers at the valance locations. Also , my brace bolts are rusty , but they also have the counter sunk hex head with the rim around the edge style. There is some sort of letter or symbol on these heads as well, i did not notice before....could be the weird "A" looking symbol again ...not sure . but they are 1/2 long , im unsure of thread fine or course.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Z28Pilot, The reason for the front spoiler information not being in assembly manual was due to them being assemble by the dealer or the customer based on research that I located after posting my request. I will probably purchase some stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts sizes like you mentioned in your post. I already have the brace bolts, washers and nuts that I need to attach the brace to the valance/spoiler.
    Thanks Z28PILOT for your information.
    George

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Iirc i used 10-24 black screws

74Z28GC3 likes this.
  5. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    I will look at 10-24 screws to see if they will fit the pre-drilled holes in my spoiler end after I return home next month.
    Thanks

6. BonzoHansen

I also used washers

74Z28GC3 likes this.
  7. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Ok, Did you use the nuts too?

8. BonzoHansen

Well, yeah. I meant i used washers to spread the load a bit. I am going to replace all of this hardware with stainless black bolts I can pick up at McMaster Carr. This is stuff I just grabbed off the shelf at Lowe's to see the best way to make it work. This is actually the aftermarket spoiler and I used all the holes in the factory lower valance for the two side flares so they're pretty good ( I also have an SOS spoiler and it's nearly identical). I had to drill all the holes along the bottom of the valance for the middle piece. There's no way I wouldn't use black hardware on the side flares that be too visible. The shiny ones I'm using right now on the centerpiece are visible from just looking at the car. So next time at McMaster I'll pick those up. I'm pretty sure they're all 10-24 machine screws, washers on both sides and small lock washer and nut on the inside. But I will probably replace those with nylock nuts. I thought the center was going to be kind of flimsy but once everything was bolted in and three pieces of both together it's actually pretty rigid. I just put it on last month I was concerned about highway speeds but it's been perfect.
    I don't know how the factory did it this is just how I did it.

Attached Files:

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Minnesota
    Im on it. My car has all the original hardware on it. I'll get you pics and size up the bolts. Just give me a day or two.
    There is also a z shaped brace on each side to stabilize each spoiler end.

10. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Ok, thank you.