'73 Z28. Widest Wheels. Right Suspension. No Cuts

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by drLocke97, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    How's the handling when the derivation from front to rear is over 50mm? Like 255/315.

I'm looking for options, I've got 19x8.5 / 19x11 wheels on the way and haven't decided on tires.

I'm looking at 255/305, but was concerned with the handling.

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have spent a lot of time on this as well. Mine is a 78. I have not purchased yet but have come to the conclusion after a lot of measuring that the biggest I can fit without modifications is a 275 with 5.5” backspace on an 18x9.5” wheel. At that size I should be about 3/8 or less away from the rear spring. It looks like I might need to pound the seat belt to get the tires to fit. I also have about a 1.5” drop in the rear.

Short story, I wouldn’t go wider than 275, but lots of people have different experiences as you can see.

3. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    I'm currently running a 275/40/18 in the rear with hotchkis leafs. And I have about an inch or so of clearance all around the inside.

The wheels are 18x9.5 Vette wagon wheels (all rears) +65mm, with a 2" adaptor.(equivalent to 5.84" BS)

4. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    pictures please

5. weiland2

weiland2 Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    I did a bunch of research on these threads in the past and I went with the following sizes on some Rushforth Night Trains in Matte Black. Just did the lowering springs on the front from Custom Works, their 2G springs. Rear is stock height (or at least what my car came with when I bought it). No rubbing anywhere and I have not pushed out the seat belt humps nor have I rolled the fenders or anything else. Very happy with this setup!

Fronts
    18x8 w/ 5" bs
    245/40ZR-18 Sumitomo HTR Z III
    Rears
    18x10 w/ 5.75" bs
    285/35ZR-18 Sumitomo HTR Z III

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

71RSLS likes this.
  6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That looks great! How do you like the Rushforth wheels? I'm planning on getting a set of 17s for my 71 but haven't decided what width to go with yet. I may or may not mini-tub it depending on how bad I find the metal under the crud in that area when I get it blasted.

7. weiland2

weiland2 Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    I love my Rushforth wheels. Jason Rushforth was a stellar guy to work with to get these ordered and very responsive to any questions I had. Was like chatting with my brother. I had those particular wheels on my radar for 2 years while I searched for a cheaper set that gave the same look, but that ultimately never came up. So I said screw it, forked up the money for the wheels and got the set that I really wanted. I never regret that decision. Last set of wheels I will ever purchase for this car and I absolutely love the look of them. Perfectly fits the style I was shooting for. Feel free to PM me with any further questions. I'd be happy to share pricing with you.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Point proven, that is a small 315 tire and the other pic clearly shows the tire will smack the lip of the fender on a big
    bump AND the inner lip looks rolled.

Don't forget about dynamic loads and movement. With little clearance, it may not rub static, but could under driving loads.

9. bobsundance

bobsundance Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Guffey, Colorado
    275/50/17 wide as I could go on my 71 and keep them from not rubbing the outside wheel well and keeping the right ride height

Attached Files: