73 on a slow road to recovery...

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Done Yet?, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    New to the site and would like to say hi from south Florida. I purchased my 73 LT back in december of last year. I knew the car had some rust issues to be delt with but once tearing it apart it has quite a bit more than thought. I also have a 79 camaro doner with very little rust, that i will be taking parts off of to fix the 73. This will be a very long ride down restoration road for me due to having to work outside on days off when the weather cooperates. I would like to take this time to thank you in advance for the many questions i will have during this project. This will be my first attempt at any type of bodywork and reassembling from nothing more than a shell. I will try to post some pics starting with day of purchase......disassembly....and the begining battle with the rust. The repairs so far are the R/s hinge pillar (parts from the 79) and the R/S outer rocker (NPD) The bottom corner of the R/S windshield pillar is cut out and if weather permits will be welded in over the weekend (parts from the 79). I will try to keep up with the pics and progress as i move foward on my project. Some of the work that needs to be done..
    floor pan patches
    L/S outer rocker
    1/4 Patches
    rear deck hinge panel
    full trunk pan
    and im sure i will find more once all stripped.
    Thanks for reading my post...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. FRANKP74Z

FRANKP74Z Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Sayreville, New Jersey
    Unfortunatly those issues are common with most of the Camaros I have owned.

3. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    seam sealer ?

I have a question about body seam sealer? Has anyone used a good seam sealer that they would recomend? Ive seen one part made by 3m and two part which is also made by 3m but requires a special gun to dispense, and is a little on the pricey side. I will be sealing the seams on my car ontop of epoxy primer. One more ? on the outer rocker panel where the door striker pillar, and door hinge pillar meet. the seams there seemed to be filled with a different type of sealer from the factory. Does anyone have any recomendations for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Pics look good, you are making great progress already. As for the seam sealer, my father in law is a body man, and he told me to get the two part sealer for when we do mine, probably within the next couple of weeks. He has the gun already though that I can use.

5. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Little by little...

Thanks steve, Did you get all of your sandblasting done? Let me know how you like the two part seam sealer, it looks like you will be using it before me. Not much headway yesterday i stripped the dash, firewall and windshield channel. I hope to weld the right side windshield pillar & dash back together today, finish stripping the roof. And epoxy prime roof, wind. channel, firewall and dash. Heres afew pics of yesterdays progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. joe-balls

joe-balls Veteran Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Cornwall, ON Canada
    welcome, nice work, keep it up

doesnt look like the rust was bad in the first couple pics, thats just evident that you can buy a car and not no whats wrong until you rip er down.

sweet ride and good progress

joe

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427 Veteran Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Portland, Or.
    Welcome! You're doing a great job on the Camaro! Looks very professional. Having a donor close by sure makes things go faster and cheaper!

8. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Rain Rain Rain....

Thankyou im taking my time trying to do a good job.... I did get out and weld in the r/s windshield pillar and dash today.. Then the skys opened up with rain. Well the windshield and pillar came out real nice, took alot longer than expected to get it all to line up, and welded. Its not as much as i wanted to get accomplished but better than rain all day i guess. Yes having the doner close by helps alot, Most of the parts im taking from the doner are not available to my knowledge. i will be on vacation next week and will be hard at it trying to put a dent in this resto if the weather permits. I will post pics tommorrow showing progress from today and tommorrow.[​IMG]

9. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    A little headway.....

After rain on sunday and monday the sun finaly did shine on tuesday. I did have to regrind alot of the bare metal due to the heavy down pours and moisture under my tarp. I stripped the roof and the rest of the r/s 1/4, wiped it down with wax and grease remover, tack ragged and epoxy primed. I finished stripping the r/s door and found a little metal work to do. It seems as if you fix one thing and feel your moving foward and then find two more areas that need attention. I guess ill just keep plugging away and hopefully be able to drive it before having to move into an assisted living facilty
    Here are some pics of work to date

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. conrracing

conrracing Veteran Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Cumberland, MD
    Looks like great work for a first attempt! And you are doing all this outside? Wow! Keep up the good work, looks like you are progressing nicely! Don't worry eventually the numbers will start evening out, you fix one thing and only find one thing more to fix and then fix two things and find nothing! lol