73 FireChicken

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Hoot, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    New trans is rebuilt with new synchros, seals, clutch keys ect. Installed it today. Drug it up on my chest and slid it in via some 8" bolts with no heads for guides. Went in so easy I did it 3 times to make sure i went through the throw out bearing. Driveshaft is in, shifter and all that. Need to rework one shifter linkage arm. I have to wait to put zbar back in till headers are done.

Pulled my headers and I am now cleaning them via electrolysis :) going to try VHT ceramic high heat paint this time. Since they are kinda pita to get out and in, i decided not to do the never seeze treatment this time.

Going to mess with a few other things and check over alot of stuff while I have it up in air on 4 jack stands.

2. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Got it back together. Trans shifts wonderful up and down. BUT making a slight metallic noise in 2nd. Found my header leak also. in the middle of where the 4 primaries connect to collector. SO pass header is off again. Trans will be out tonight if it doesnt rain.

Going to try and find the exact spot of leak in header today and hopefully weld it up. Will figure whats up with trans in day or two. Im thinking the wave washer is too weak or something in the shifter side plate isnt quite lining up. Has to be something simple. But cant tell till it gets back out and i look it over.

Just glad I no longer have a grind above 20mph downshifting to 2nd like old trans had.

Oh well I knew it all went back together too freaking easy.

3. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Keep at it Troy. You'll get it.

4. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Well found the leak in the header. PITA. Had to cut off the collector so i could get too it to fix it.

Header cut off

[​IMG]

The bottom of the triangle areas was my leaks.
    [​IMG]

Cut for access and welded up the holes.
    [​IMG]

Header welded all back together and back on the car. No pic of that though

Tranny is out and ready for tomorrow. Will dig into it with my Mech friend and see what we find. Hope is something easy. It shifts so well it cant be anything major though.

5. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Goor work Troy! :happy:

Dave
    :bowtie:

6. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Thanks guys ;) Just hope I dont start hearing noise from the other header. But if so, I know exactly where to look this time.

First we used water to find it. Which just pored out so we knew we had some holes. Then we used red chalk line powder to further pin point it after we cut off the collector.

Took side cover off trans. Only thing we see so far is maybe one of the springs that hold the clutch keys out in the 1-2 syncro sleeve is weak or maybe out of the groove. So i gotta tear it down further when I get a chance.

7. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Took trans all the way apart. We saw nothing wrong inside. I need to clean gaskets off and put it back together. Do that little later :) I will NEVER use sealant on both sides of gasket on a trans again...

took my bell housing, pressure plate off. Pilot bushing is wobbled out big time. Need to make a dowl to get it out and replace it. The one I used the first time it too small. maybe this was causing my noise, I dunno.

8. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Well, I guess that's the hard thing, not seeing anything real obvious. I'm pretty sure you'll get figured out! ;)

Dave

9. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Trans is in. Car back together. I was very meticulous this time. I used a long file and made sure all surfaces of trans, bellhousing, engine block were flat and clean. Had to grind a bit on the mount holes. They were off just a little to line up. Check everything over. Set up the shifter out of car first and marked it so i would be right when i put it in the car. Used the old input shaft as a line up tool for clutch. So it went in pretty easy. The 8" bolts with no heads makes the install pretty easy though haha

Took for a drive. Noise it gone. Almost positive it was the wobbled out pilot bushing letting the trans shift enough to cause the throw out bearing to be offset and make noise against the pressure plate fingers. Upshifts, downshifts very very smooth. :cool: :happy: Very slight gear noise but I had the shifter boot off so I can hear everything. Pretty sure thats just normal sounds. shifter boot on and cant hear anything really.

Have an exhaust leak I think. But it isnt from the same place Im sure. I put my hands all around the collectors and collector gaskets while it was up on stands. Felt nothing at all. I used some aluminum header gaskets at the block. They may not have sealed well. I dunno. Not too worried atm. Ill track it down and find it ;) Just relieved the trans is done.

Not doing anything to it tomorrow. Got plans for momma. since its mothers day and all :crazy:

10. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Great job on the tranny!

Dave