73 FireChicken

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Hoot, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Nice work Hoot!

Dave
    :bowtie:

2. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    over the weekend I did a little more adjusting on the power steering box. Play is all gone and it turns easy as can be. No leaks, squeeks or anything now.

Also I did some playing with spacers/adapters. Have been trying different ones over last couple weeks. Open hole square to spreadbore (had a stumble but better throttle response and rapped a bit higher and quicker). 4 hole square to spreadbore from edelbrock (awesome except it whistled like a sumbitch).

So I took the 4 hole eddy square to spreadbore and put it on the mill. Made it a 4 hole to 2 hole to match the dual plane intake. Throttle response is better then without. Low rpm cruising seems better. Raps up quicker and pulls to 5500 (where I stopped, it had more) before 5k was about tops. Really liking this one.

Changed the oil for first time(2500 miles). Had to loosen header to get filter off. What a pita, glad I dont have to do this very often. Cut the filter open, finding no metal flakes or foreign junk.

Got some offroad needle and seats today. Going to put those in this weekend. Try and fix a rare stall on sharp corners with clutch depressed.

Have a exhaust tick or something thats been bugging me for awhile. Very slight and hard to hear, but its buggging me so thats my next mission.

Ordered new header and collector gaskets. Going to pull headers, clean them up (rusty already..) then probably do the anti-seize treatment to them.

Got my hands on a wireless inspection camera. The kind with a monitor and a camera on teh end of a cable. Trying to see what type of pistons I have so I can guesstimate compression.

Thinking of doing a cam change in the future. Really think this comp 292 thats supposed to be in my 454 is too big. everything else matches real well except that thing. If I figure out my compression...

Oh well enough blabbing, getting back to research and working on the bird ;)

3. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    Blew up the transmission this week. Towed it home from work this morning. Took out the trans to find front drive gear basically gone. A friend at work (the one I bought this transmission from) GAVE me the spare one he had sitting around. I have to do some flooring, tile, counter work for him or somthing on the house he is redoing to pay him back. What a COOL man !!!

Tore the new one down yesterday. Going to change syncros and the dogs/clutch keys and front bearing since I dont trust the old one now. Maybe rear bearing but I think mine is still fine.

While I have it down im going to remove headers and try the Never-seeze treatment to them.

Also found a spot where the front spring was rubbing the lower a-arm. Found that squeek !!! just need to fix it.

anyway this is the damage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    that sucks! Hope you get it back together soon!
    if I can find a nice 70-73 Firebird, the Camaro is gonna get sold or traded.
    I just love the front ends on those cars

5. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    70-73 firedirds and camaros are my favorite. I had a 70 bird in high school so im a little partial to them :)

6. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I have had a 67 and a handfull of late 70's but have yet to own a early 70's, one of these days... :D

7. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    i bought this one as a stripped out shell on ebay for 600 or 650 cant remember. it was in pretty bad shape. But i had the fun of tearing it down and rebuilding it how i wanted over a few years.

8. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    Sorry about the trans failure... any idea what caused it?

I'm with you, the front ends on the 70-73 Pontiacs and Camaros just hit a sweet spot in me.

(And by the way tax season is over ... getting my exhaust finished up in the next week of so, new coils installed so I an get it inspected and legal - have a buddy who's gonna help ... and then.... NEW NEW DASH. Should be much easier...finally got a mig welder to make framing it up much easier.)

9. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Greenville MS
    too much hp/torque is my guess really. it happend on a 2-3 shift at around 5500. was coming back from a drive with friend to listen to an exhaust leak and I was showing off. LOL Saginaws were not built for that behind a big block. SO basically i was being stupid.

10. rydeer

rydeer Veteran Member

Feb 28, 2012
    south NJ
    Being stupid is why I have the Camaro in the first place!! I'm nice to my truck. The camaro gets flogged!!