73 Base Camaro going to 2006 LS2 4L65E

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mrfleet12, Aug 20, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Looks good, pay really close attention to the wiring on the connectors. Started my engine up last night and popping codes and hard to start. I wired the MAP and Cam Pos Sensor backwards...Oops. I really was paying close attention too...Not sure how that happened.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  2. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Been a while since I've been here, had a few parts show up, Fitech setup, Dakota Dash, Headman Headers, Holley 90mm TB and a case of Miller Lite:)
    Engine and trans are set in, used the stock cross member, it was in the car with the 700R. Using a stock cheap trans mount for now just to get everything set, drive angles are close and should be easy to get set. Using Holley engine mounts and I rebuilt the clams with Energy Suspension inserts. All in all, it slid right in.
    The Fitech uses an IAT instead of a MAF, any thoughts on which IAT to use and best location? Was thinking just a stock IAT from an earlier LS1?

10.8.2017.jpg Dakota Digital Dash.jpg IMG_20171004_184001.jpg Headman Headers.jpg Holley - Energy Suspension.jpg

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    So I started adding the alt and power steering only to find out that the back of the alt hits the frame and bottom will contact the pitman arm..

Looking for options on either brackets that allow me to use the alt and PS I have or any way to modify what I currently have.. Going to try reclocking the alt to see if I get anything in back but that doesn't help the pitman arm issue..

Any thoughts?
    Looking at Kwik, Holley and Dirty Dingo

4. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    The alternator shouldn't be touching the frame, however the Pitman arm is a well known issue. The solution is the trans am drop pitman

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Badazz
    Can I run that Pittman with the stock Camaro center link? Thought inners and center link needed to be replaced?

6. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Getting a little work done, my job has been pretty active lately so not as much as completed as I would like..

Found a Corvette alt bracket and power steering setup on CL for $100.. Decided this was the best route to take, using the Holley spacer kit to allow for not replacing the balancer, the it includes the spacer for the A/C bracket which I'll get from Holley.. Most of the wiring is done, need to start the plumbing for fuel..
    Headman headers fit perfectly and look great and painted the inner fenders.

Took ten days off to come out to AZ to visit family and take in Good Guys in Scottsdale... Planning to look over several LS swapped second gens..

This is my brother's 51 Henry J, running a potent little small block.. Intake and headers installed.jpeg Intake and headers installed.jpeg Inner Fender.jpg Henry Engine.jpg Henry.jpg

7. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Painted Post NY
  8. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Not really. The drag link would be angled. However, I'm pretty sure the tie rods are the same. Since I had it all apart, I bought all new front steering components from Pro-Forged.

9. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    I bought the Holley spacer kit which moved everything it to the GTO spacing, I don't have an alternator yet but, I ran an old belt around it and everything looks good.