73 Base Camaro going to 2006 LS2 4L65E

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mrfleet12, Aug 20, 2017.

1. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Venturing into the LS world for the first time.. Bought this base 73 in Arizona and shipped it back to IL with the intentions of trying my hand at an LS build..

Engine and trans were sold within days of putting them up for sale, ordered an LS2 and trans from a 2006 GTO from the guys at Hawks, hope to have it here around the first week of September..

Plan so far is to build a driver that handles well and can be driven daily, I like a little power which is why I went to the LS2, planning to keep it mostly stock for now..

Parts list to begin with,
    2006 LS2 with 4L65E
    Holley mounts and shorty headers
    Holley gas tank setup with intank pump
    Dakota Digital VHX version
    Fitech 70051 controller
    Vintage Air

The paint is driver quality so no plans for that just yet, interior is in good shape except for the dash pad which will be replaced.
    Secondary plans will be to replace the front brakes to go a little bigger and convert the rear to disk..
    Rear end is Yukon axles and 3.73 gears.
    Cleaning the engine bay and under side of the car while I'm waiting on parts...
    Considering leaving the original red oxide primer on the bottom if the undercoating continues to come off easy..

This will be a slow build, work is crazy right now...

Attached Files:

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Looks like a solid platform to start with. Good luck on the build!

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Have you looked into the Ricks Hot Rot stamped tank? Much nicer then the Holley stuff

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Or the Tanks Inc setup... also a really nice but inexpensive piece.

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    I've looked at all three, the Holley seemed to be a good option for the money. I'm open to people's suggestions which is why I started the thread. So many people have done this before me, I'm hoping to learn from them.
    Thanks

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Really nice, solid one to start with!

mrfleet12 likes this.
  7. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Thanks

8. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Making a little progress on the build, mostly cleaning the underside of the body.
    I'm organizing the purchasing all the parts for to try to have everything here when the engine arrives, one thing I'm not clear on is the throttle body. This LS2 is DBW and and the FiTech harness I plan to use requires a DBC throttle body.. Can I step up to a 102 TB on the stock LS2 intake or does that require changing the intake as well? Also, any recommendations on a reasonably priced TB, not wanting to spend $450 on a Nick Williams or something like that.
    Holley Sniper ok?

Thanks

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Trust me....A FAST throttle body is worth it. Don't spend the $$ on one of the China castings. I however would not step up the throttle body anyways unless you plan on doing the same for the intake manifold. Unless you plan to modify the engine, I would keep all that stock and just get a stock LS1 cable throttle body. A used one that has had light porting shouldn't be too much money.

FWIW...the stock LS7 has a 90mm TB and makes over 500hp

10. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Thanks for the reply, are you saying stay away from a Holley TB? Again, I'm new to LS engines, I've rebuilt many Holley carbs and for the most part, they make a good carb.
    Thanks