72 Z28

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by AlanW, Jun 29, 2005.

1. AlanW

AlanW New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fayetteville, GA
    Does anyone know if a/c was available on a 72 Z28? The Big Book of Camaro Data states that a/c was not available. However, I am looking at buying a 72 Z28 that has "Z28" on the trim tag, but the car appears to be an original a/c car.
    Thanks.

2. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 5, 1999
    East Quogue, NY
    In the immortal words of Ricky Ricardo, "someone has some 'splainin to do".

Your info is correct....no a/c prior to '73 for Z28 cars. The Z28 never should have been tarted up with a/c, power stuff, etc., but I digress.

My money is on a "transplanted" trim tag. Much easier than installing a factory a/c system from another car.

3. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Schererville,In.46375
    Vin number will explain what engine and model the car is.

4. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    I've seen 1 car with a "L" for the engine code in the vin. And it had A/C. The guy swore it was factory installed. Adding A/C is not illegal. Dickydooing with the vin is. I'd assume the vin was legit.

As a general rule "The 72 Z28 didn't come with A/C". However if you picked your $3900 up off the table at the dealership, they might have made some phone calls. Regardless of how the car was designed to intended to be built.

Kinda like - you can't buy a black camaro in 1970. unless you know how to boot someone in the ass and make it happen.