72 with aftermarket steel cowl hood---Cut out for grill/air intake?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Bossman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Bossman

Bossman New Member

May 28, 2017
    I have a family member's 72 I'm trying to get together. We decided on and got one of those 2" steel cowl hoods. I noticed it don't have the rear cut out where the grill "fresh air intake" is on the stock hood. I can't even install my windshield squirters because it's all sealed up where normally they poke through the grating.

I'm assuming most people cut this rectangle piece out, but did you go all the way to match the size of the stock grating or did you keep it within the width of the cowl above it?

2. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    What hood did you go with? Most that I have seen have the cutout under the cowl. Your basically looking at it through the windshield. I have never seen anyone cut the grate area from a stock hood and transfer it to a cowl hood. I hope I'm understanding your post correctly. As for the windshield washer fluid nozzles, I know alot of guys leave them off. I'm hoping to figure out a way to use them. My truck has them mounted to the wipers. Maybe that's and option.

3. Bossman

Bossman New Member

May 28, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. The hood is installed and I see no way to even try the grill idea. I was gonna attach the squirters since the lower skin has the indentations to install them, but only one lines up with the cowl above and the other is far outside of it, and you would end up messing something up if you tried to use the stock locations. As of right now we are gonna have to live with no windshield washer.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Maybe some one messed up at the factory .or its a design flaw.Do you still have your have your stock hood.? If you use it as template. Or mount the nozzles inside the scoop or on the cowl.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I figure this is why the sellers never ever show a picture of this area. I guess some are finished nicely and some are closed off.