72 rear speaker install

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Bossman, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Bossman

Bossman New Member

May 28, 2017
    I'm putting a project 72 back together that isn't mine, so I have no idea how some of it came apart. Since I have the rear window out I thought addressing the speakers now might be a good idea.

I have two replacement rear speakers and a new deck cover. The rear window looks to be super close to the speakers so I'm wondering how should a person install them for future removal if necessary.

Should I mount them from the bottom and let the deck cover sit flat over the holes? Or should I mount them top down, cut holes in the deck cover and use speaker covers to sandwich down?

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Yes cut holes for speakers if nessesary now with glass out and bolt to bottom in truck in case you want to remove. I recommend a sub and two 6x9s. install amp and or battery in trunk too while glass is out. access is so much easier! Cutting back dash with glass in from trunk is very difficult! Tint the glass before you install too!

3. Bossman

Bossman New Member

May 28, 2017
    Awesome.. Ok. so the deck cover is a blank piece, should I just drill small holes over the speaker or cut out the 6x9 size hole and mount the speaker grill/cover to the deck cover?