71 Trunk Pan / Rear Inner Valence Panel / Lower Quarter Panel - Question

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by lhorne81, Feb 1, 2018.

1. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Hey guys, I have posted a question in my Project Progress Thread, but have not yet received any replies. Hopefully this is the correct section to post my question.

I am having difficulty understanding the alignment and what all parts are needed when I go about replacing my trunk pan. From what I can gather, the rear inner valence panel looks to be spot welded to the trunk pan, and on each side of the valence panel is an extension (Classic Industries part numbers K44510 and K44511).

My question for this forum is this: Is there another piece of sheet metal that goes in between the trunk pan, the valence panel extensions and the lower quarter panel?

I keep getting hung up on the fact that there looks to be mounting holes just above the extensions on each side, and they appear to be a separate piece of metal than my trunk pan. I have not started cutting out any of these sections as I am awaiting the arrival of my replacement trunk pan.
    The passenger side:
    IMG_1029.JPG
    The driver side:
    Crossrail Driver 1.JPG

Any guidance or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

70ZED likes this.
  2. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    Did you get this figured out ?? Thx for the pics, they do help me visualize what's in there. I think those extensions are a triangle piece to tab the drops to the back panel only. You can order those separately as well

3. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    There isno rear valance only a full tail panel. Layers are tail panel qtr panel ends crossrail with extensions then trunk floor on each side is a drop off then its outer wheelhouse inner structure package tray with extensions etc

4. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Yep, looks like your only missing the tail panel from your pics. You can cut the trunk pan out and leave the cross rail in for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  5. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    This may help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Are NOS 70-73 Tailpanels better quality/fit and/or more valuable than the AMD reproduction

I dont know how to look at sold EBAY prices

7. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I myself have bought AMD quarter panels, and so far the passenger side lines up almost perfectly without any modifications yet except for a small area next to the trunk lid which may be bc of my car and not the qtr, but the area I am having a difficult time getting to fit is still the factory metal and hasn't been messed with so I don't know if maybe I am just having a tough time since this is my first time doing this or the qtr itself is slightly flawed. The tailpanel I bought was OER so I can't speak for that part. Anything NOS no matter where its sold is going to be outrageous just bc its original.

8. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I think the part with the hole just above the extension is part of the tail panel where it was cut off, look at the area in this pic and you can see an inner brace that is attached to the tail panel near the area you are curious about
    https://pix.sfly.com/GgAjbs

9. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Schererville,In.46375
    Last car I had put quarters on, we had issues with the repop tail-pan. We than used an NOS piece and we had no issues at all and that was also using reproduction quarters. I would only use a reproduction if I was needing to splice in for a repair. Just my 2 cents....

10. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    That inner rear valance piece from AMD is a beauty