71 RS - abandoned 23 years

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Hello All:

I am finally putting my 1971 RS 350 back together. Embarassed to say that it was abandoned the garage for 23 years after a botched restoration in the late 1980s. This time though, all is going well.

I am better organized. I cleared off shelf space in the garage for the removed parts. I laid out the tools I needed like an operating room. After I removed a part, I put the fastners in a ziplock baggie with a tag inside. I am also more calm and deliberate working one part at a time.

I pulled the motor and trans three weeks ago. The trans has been rebuilt with all new soft parts and better clutches (all hard parts are in solid shape). The engine reubuild will have all new parts. Should have it back this coming week.

I do not want any dependability issues or have thought of "what is going to break down next" so verything in the engine compartment that has a gasket, fluid, electrical, mechanical has been replace or rebuilt. I am making all new wire harnesses. Some of the wire is probably still ok but it is 42 years old

The exterior body and interior is still in good shape from the late 1980s restoration. The car has been garaged this whole time with no direct sunlight on it for 18 years. The interior if filthy but a good cleaning will be all it needs.

The car will be on the road before Christmas.

The car came into the family when I was 16. My folks bought it from some friends who had it only 3 months. It is part of my life

A few pic just before the engine and trans came out
    http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ChuckRS71/media/100_1264.jpg.html
    http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ChuckRS71/media/100_1262.jpg.html
    http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ChuckRS71/media/100_1263.jpg.html
    http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ChuckRS71/media/100_1267.jpg.html

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    FermentedSpirit likes this.
  2. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Central Oklahoma
    Sounds like you have a awesome project. Please post pics so we can drool over them. Welcome to the forum.

3. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    There's a few Houstonians in here if you need local help. I'd advise replacing the wire harness while you have everything out.

Welcome to Nasty Z28!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. speed_m5

speed_m5 Veteran Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Baytown Texas
    I have some stock wiring from several cars i have worked on you are welcome to anything you need

5. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Welcome Chuck! Good luck and we like lots of pics!! :cool:

6. Chuck71RS

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Hi Speed m5, thanks for the wire offer but have all that I need (GXL and SXL) for the engine compartment and probably the gas tank - trunk needs.

Orange71, I am not sure how this site works for posting pics. There is a total upload limit of 100k if done as attach. I looked briefly at the NastyZ28 section about general discussion and found photobucket but I am bewildered by it. I did see a few project cars where pics are inserted into post and the size is beyond 100k limit

7. Chuck71RS

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Here is all I know how to do as to posting pics

8. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    There's a thread somehwere to posting pics....but it's really easy. Go to http://photobucket.com/ and make an account.

If you have the pictures on your computer choose the "upload" button. Browse for the pictures and upload as many as you want at once.

Once uploaded and you can see your pictures, hover over the picture and copy the IMG code, just click on the link at it will copy it for you...

Then paste it to your post...and the picture will show up

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Welcome

It sounds like it is going to be an amazing project for you!

I know I still wish I had the first 71 Camaro I had, one that my dad bought brand new. Unfortunately it went to the great collecting yard many years ago but I am planning on building up a new one in its memory.

Looking forward to seeing pics and progress on yours! Hopefully I will be making some progress on mine in the very near future!

10. Chuck71RS

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Made some progress trying to post some pics but still not there.

I have posted what are probably knit-noid questions to most of you (fuel tank lines, fuse link at volt reg, sealing electrical connections, looking for crimp tool Packard 56 terminals). I am not a gear head (wish I was) and I am not comfortable in changing what was factory installed and not knowing the diameter, length, thread of a fastener, line id etc

I screwed up many areas of the late 80s rebuild that I am not accepting that what I did on the car now is correct. In a way my rebuild is trying to identify what fastener is needed for this or that part. I went through the Ground Up catalogue and found wrong bolts in some areas, flat washers instead of lock washers. I have confusion in some areas because there are conflicts between what is factory on the car vs the 1971 service manual and the 1971 Camaro Factory assembly instruction manual (such as the fusible link at the volt reg)

I am also a bit overwhelmed by what I see of the other project cars, that mine seems insignificant and childs play.

I have a second chance (and probably the last chance) to get this classic back on the road. So I am being very cautious and deliberate as to each part.