71 camaro hood insulation question,,,,,?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Would all 1971 camaros have a inner hood insulation? Most any old car I have had has shown some evidence of a missing liner like rub marks in the paint or plastic plugs and/or remnants of the old insulation. The car in question is a 1971 z28. It has no insulation or plugs and has been parked for 30 years or so. Also does anyone know when and /or why the inner metal webbing was changed on the underside of the hoods. My hood has an area above the air cleaner that is almost a full round open recess , I have another hood that has a web structure crossing near the front of recess almost 1/2 way back. This might be hard to understand the way I am asking unless someone is familiar with the difference , would all 71's have an insulation? would it be molded dense ridged ,or a flat soft mat like some other old cars. Thanks

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I remember previous discussions here about hood insulation. Mostly they were about the 1970 year. As I remember, the discussion indicated that SS, Z28, and any other car with Z87 custom interior had the hood insulation.
    1971 might be similar. Hood insulation is listed for the SS option here
    http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro71.html#71-z27
    If you scroll down to Z87, it is also listed there.
    I don't see it listed on that page for Z28, so I can't say for sure there.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    All 71's did not have hood insulation. It came with the Z87 Custom interior option and with either the Z27 SS or Z28 option. The hood on your car could have been changed out at some point. The hood insulation didn't last long. It got ugly fast and most people ripped it off but the clips sometimes remain or at least the holes. There have also been known exception cars to the above where they didn't get the insulation.

For 71, the insulation would be closer to your "flat soft mat" description. Kind of a pressed fiberglas mat with an indention for the air cleaner. 71 retainers are plastic round as compared to 70 which were metal squares.

Thread here:
    http://nastyz28.com/threads/hood-insulation-1970-camaros.144150/
    on 70's, but it also applies to 71's.

Not sure what about the underside hood bracing. Pictures?

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

70-81CAMHI.jpg 70Z.RickNelson.HoodPad.b.jpg Cnv1783.jpg G.M.Doc.b.jpg IMG_5832_zps28122925.jpg

Attached Files:

5. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    And one more little tip. If you are restoring your car and have the tower hose clamps, rotate the top radiator hose clamp to the side or else it will poke a hole in the mat. Also, the mat will press agains the air cleaner lid and scratch the chrome and will wear the paint finish on some things. Some folks put rags on the wear points before closing the hood.

6. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    Thanks very much for the above replies,,,,, I did think about how the insulation could cause some issues cosmetically to a detailed under hood. And I figured with a little investigating that it looked like my car didn't have one. My car has standard interior, so based on the above info that could be a correct assumption. The reason I bring it all up at all, beside the fact that I just hate the stuff because of its fragile nature and itchy shoulders, My hood has surface rust that is going to be quite the job removing so I picked up another hood and found the difference in the understructure that I asked about. Not for the purpose of hiding something for any deceitful purpose I thought if it was covered with a insulation appearance wise it would be fine and I would keep the original hood in the shed. So maybe I will just try to get my original hood cleaned up and if I can't I will try to find another hood that matches mine 100 percent. Thanks again for the time you all took to respond, I appreciate it.

7. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    One more bit of trivia. The hood insulation was one of the highest complaints of the line workers. They hated it. It was a pain to install and being fiberglas irritated the installers, especially in the summer. That's why more than a few cars that were supposed to get it didn't.

8. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    Thats Funny,,, A lot of things tend to irritate me. Imagine if I was on the line back then, some cars might have come with a big dent in the door. lol thanks

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Where did you hear that ? There has to be 20 inspectors between the trim shop and the final line that would have signed off on it ... please , I would have ran with bells on my feet to do that job as opposed to most of the jobs in the body shop . You didn’t even have to do every car . It was called insubordination and would definitely get you suspended. Then when you got back from suspension, they had a “ punishment job “ in the lead booth grinding lead in a spacesuit for 10 hours .. gm also provided coveralls and smocks and what ever safety equipment that you needed . Just saying , a lot worse jobs than that ...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  10. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA