71 Camaro Distributor

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by richb, Dec 27, 2017.

My 71 sbc it has a Mallory dual point distributor with a tach drive pn is 37107A. Any idea what it

1. Corvette

0 vote(s)
  2. 409

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. richb

richb New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    My 71 Camaro small block has a Mallory Distributor with dual points and a tach drive. The pn on the tag 37107A, and another number is 137935, any idea what it was originally produced for?
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    All the Mallory distributors I've seen are aftermarket. It would be a generic small block Chevy replacement distributor for someone who wanted the mechanical tach drive.
  3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I don't think the 409 and small block distributors are interchangeable. If it's on your smallblock and has a tach drive, it was probably originally intended for a pre-74 Corvette
  4. shad_van

shad_van Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2012
    las vegas, NV
    that Mallory could be for an early Vette with the mechanical tach. however they were also used in Marine applications. I had one in a 74 Hondo SK flat bottom drag boat. it was a great distributer. never had issues with it like I did with the Mallory uni-lites I ran before it (electronic failures due to moisture). all small block / 348/409 and big block distributers are interchangeable. what is different is the advance weights and springs and how the advance curve is set up.