70ZLT1 Detail

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Burd, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    image.jpeg A buddy bought this 70 Z, I posted it years ago, Photo Bucket hosed us so here it is again, PO stripped most of the high dollar parts before they sold it, and it was a mess with chrome 80's crap, I filled a trash can de-Jegging it, lol , he kept the chrome timing cover, I said not to, we need a stock one if someone has one for sale, the master and booster needs to be done still, I did my T/A booster, I sent it to Booster Dewey out west, they do fine work, anyway, he couldn't find correct battery cables at that time, do they make them? Someone here has the loom and the metal booster hose, so that's found, I'm asking, how's it look, I'm a Pontiac guy, doing a Chevy was hard, I didn't know what finish was used on most, it even had HEI, the stock air cleaner he bought wouldn't fit, I found him a numbers one, there's a Vett resto place here in the D, they did a great job at $80 to rebuild it and make it OG.
    He made this bracket for the console to put gauges in so the dash would remain stock, it had lights, like for the oil and temp. The consol looks cool as hell. I'll get more pics. Since the turds took the radio too, I put a remote jack type it, terry needs some of the items in the trunk too. I'll post up a wanted, jack, spare so on. Thanks for looking,

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Looking good so far.

3. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

Let me check if still have these timing covers.
    These are for 8.0 inch harmonic balancer.
    3-70 and 17-70
    Keep up the good work! IMG_5040.jpg IMG_5041.jpg IMG_5044.jpg IMG_5045.jpg IMG_5046.jpg

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Burd - how far to stock is he taking the car? replacing the headers with manifolds and adding the AIR system back, etc? Balancer should be 8" diameter and much thicker than the one shown. Radiator overflow bottle on pass-side inner fender well should not be there. Front and read engine lift brackets were natural. Also, it would help to know if it is an LA or Norwood car...there are some subtle differences under the hood....such as the dip stick tube....oh, and the dipstick handle should be natural, not painted..might have actually been a zinc phosphate. More detailed pics would help. Yes, correct battery cables with GM PN are available as are repop dated Packard plug wires. Master Cyl appears to be parts store replacement, (s/b painted black), but brake lines/components appear correct for 70. Hope this helps.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    The details can drive you nuts on these things. Like l16 said, how close to stock does he want it? Valve covers look a bit too polished, like the later GM ones. There appears to be one of those corrugated plastic wiring covers on the drivers inner fender. Those didn't happen until the late 70's. The alternator top bracket is wrong. The hose bracket for the heater hoses was not attached to the alternator bracket and there is debate whether it was always there or not for Van Nuys cars and if it was there at all for Norwood cars. Inner fenders look a bit too glossy. Hard to tell. Don't think (somebody correct me) there should be a yellow tag on the throttle cable. Hood hinges appear black and not phosphated. Have I picked at it enough? Really, it looks very nice for a driver quality/ local show car. If that's his goal, it looks good. Is that a Forest Green car? Any more photos?

Never tried Booster Dewey. Had good luck with Steve Gregori at Brakeboosters.com.

6. Burd

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Lmao, no, I wanted the critique, I took it further than he wants, he dropped it off and $hit when he saw the hood off, and all the black items in a box to be bead blasted, the bottom pulley wobbled, it had a smash, so I made him hunt down a replacement, I think he added the overflow, did you say they didn't come with them?
    What battery topper would be correct?
    I did locate the pass side loom bracket, it's not on yet. The brake booster had green body painting, I made him take it off since the hood was off, a guy on my site, Norwood, does the hood latches if anyone is interested, I'm sending his to him this winter, he does the gray and phosphate and re cad's the internals, if that's correct for Chevy, Pontiac it it is, Norwood also repops parts for the f body's crowd, you prob have parts on your car made by Craig, looks like we got a ways to go, he likes yet he headers, they will stay, me I put HO factory manifolds on my Car, is there a factory header for Chevys or no?
    He has traction bars still on too I recently got the shoe sway bar set up from a guy on my site, his car is the 4:11 rear, if that's factory.
    He buffed the valve covers at work on the machine, so ya on that, it's not my car so I can only do so much, lol. It's come a long way believe me.

7. Burd

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    The pics are in PB, I'll get more. It is a nice car. I'm not crazy about the green vinyl top but he likes it.
    The car is a LT1 4 speed, I don't think the console came on factory, it was laying there, before Warhoops yard closed, there was a 70 there we picked parts from. Found the cōnsole brkt S, cōnsole lock and a few other things. Shame, they closed and all the cars were scrapped. Damn shame.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  8. Burd

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    Yes, it's the darker green , Dk green interior. now that I think about it, one seat belt in the rear looks like a pit bull chewed on it, I found a roll of green webbing, but it turned out to be the lighter green, I'll toss that up for sale, I don't need it. Too light.

9. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Delco R79 would be the correct assembly line battery. I'm familiar with Norwood...good guy, but never had the opportunity to meet him.

By the way, I am looking for a standard dark green seat belt latch. I have a complete set for my Forest Green 70Z, but one of the plastic latch housing is cracked....so if any of the seat belt components are for sale, I'd be interested.

Looking forward to more pics...sounds like a cool car.

10. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Eng1.AirCln.CU.Sticker.jpg Eng2.FrontLower.jpg Eng3.Intake.Left.jpg Eng4.Intake.Right.jpg Eng7.DivertorValve.458DA.jpg Eng8.RightUpper.jpg

Attached Files: