700r4 will not shift out of first but reverse works fine.

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by SMH 383SBC, Apr 8, 2013.

1. SMH 383SBC

SMH 383SBC Veteran Member

Mar 9, 1999
    Southeastern, OHIO
    Hey Guys,

I am having trouble with a 700r4 that has about 40k miles on it. The transmission was a total rebuild from Jasper and they said they replace all parts not just the part that went bad. Warranty is 3yr/30k. When it was installed i put a new GM tv cable and adjusted according to instructions.

Now the transmission will work normally in reverse and 1st gear.
    The motor will rev very high in first gear and get to about 30 mph. It feels like
    it is slipping at this point. It will not shift. The truck would go all day long at 20mph it feels solid no slipping just wont shift. I tried shifting manually and did not help.

I have changed the filter/fluid, readjusted the TV cable 10 times with no positive outcomes.

Could someone tell me what is wrong or to try.
    I have searched this forum and others and did not find anything with my specific problem.

Any help would be great!!
    Thanks

2. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

Have you checked the governor gear? On the drivers side of the trans is a rounded cover. Pry it off, it is just pressed on, and pull out the governor. It is common for the nylon gear at the end to get stripped, when this happens you will not be able to shift out of first gear.

3. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois

The governor might need "tuning" too. I installed a fresh rebuilt TH400 a few months back. My car has a 3.08 rear end and after the install I only had reverse and 1st. Would not shift into 2nd till almost 6500 rpm! Turns out I needed to add more weight and heavier springs to the governor so it would open sooner. I bought the B&M kit and it took me about 3 tries to finally get the weights just right so it would shift at a decent rpm.

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    +1 pop the governor cover and see if the gear or springs/weights are broken

5. SMH 383SBC

Mar 9, 1999
    Southeastern, OHIO
    I will do tonight!!! thanks

checked Local places for gear auto zone, advanced, and GM.

No one carries the gear and GM says its discontinued!!!

Tons of them online though :)

Thanks you GUYS!!!!

6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    the governor gear can be had on any trans parts warehouse site. the places you checked are not where you are going to find trans parts. bulkpart.com is one place I buy parts from

7. harbone66

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois

Find out if its the same as a TH400, if so I have a whole governor thats basically new.

8. SMH 383SBC

Mar 9, 1999
    Southeastern, OHIO
    The gear was bad and i replace the gear and installed in transmission. Slipped right in no problem. Took for a test drive and no changes at all. I re adjusted the TV cable a couple times but no changes.

I pulled out governer and checked the rod moving in the center to make sure it was not stuck. It was ok. I re installed and test drove still will not shift.

Works great in reverse and 1st gear. goes about 20-30 mph max but wont shift up.

what should I do next??

thanks

scott

9. harbone66

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Pull the governor back out and make sure the "drive" gear that turns the gear on the end of the governor is not chewed up too.

10. SMH 383SBC

Mar 9, 1999
    Southeastern, OHIO
    i did and it looked brand new after test driving 10+ times.

When i put the new filter on there were no pieces of plastic in pan. The old gear had one spot very worn. could some of the plastic plugged something up?