700r INSTALL 4TH GEAR QUESTION

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Lou6t4gto, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    GOT A NEW 700R INSTALLED IN MY 1973 Z. IS THE TRANS "SUPPOSED" to go directly into lockup when it shifts into 4th gear ? it has a 1 wire 4th gear only setup. Thanks

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    It should not go directly to lockup when it shifts to 4th. How are you controlling the lockup? I have a TCI kit that uses a small vacuum switch. I also installed a switch that I can disable lockup if I want.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Without some other controls... Yes, the fourth gear pressure switch will engage the lock-up when it shifts to OD.

4. bigkat_83

bigkat_83 New Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Bogart ga
    I've got a 700r4 behind a LS1 in another project and can't get this to shift right. I have a bowtie TV cable set up for the LS throttle body. No matter how I adjust the TV cable I see no difference in the shifting. Under full throttle it shifts at less than 3k rpm. Its in high gear before I'm out of the driveway. Think its time for a 4l60 any ideas before I change this out?

5. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    this is under "very light throttle". also gets into 3rd at about 30 under light throttle and into 4th lockup at about 38 (I Also have a toggle switch to disable lock up) at WOT it will shift into 2nd at about 35 and burn the tires quite a bit for about another 10 feet.. it's not that I "MIND" it shifting into 4th and a half second later lockup, Just want to make sure it's Not "Detrimental" to the transmission.