70 z28 won't start after upgrades

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by mykul48332, Feb 8, 2006.

1. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    where in michigan are ya at???

2. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I'm in Royal Oak, MI...about 5 miles from detroit.

So here's the thing......we replaced the rods and every cyl has got good compression except #1.
    So we called in our mechanic friend and he said that one of the valves is bad.
    We figured hey, we've done all this work ourselves so far, why don't we just....

take it down and let a real mechanic put it back together.

So that's where we are now. We took off the manifold and the heads and all that goes with that, and now we are waiting on the mechanic to have a little bit of time to come over and look at it.

We have another friend who is trying to convince my boss that he shoud tear out the cam and replace it with a roller cam.... I'm reccomending against that because we just got the timing where it should be and I don't want to mess it up again.

Anyway, I'll keep the saga updated as it unfolds.

3. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    When you removed the intake manifold, you already messed up the ignition timing.

4. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Sorry it took so long

Sorry it took so long, I have been away for business....

ANYWAY, here's the situation.

We tore the engine down to the block, resurfaced the heads, installed new valves, rods, ETC....

LOng story short, it runs like a demon. If you're in MI, look for a gray/blue 70 z28 and you'll see what a nice job we did. (my boss won't let me post pictures of it.....he's afraid someone might want to steal it.)

(yeah...I know)

So thanks to everyone for all the help, it was a difficult job but it was definately worth every step of the way. So overall, here's what we did.

Body:

Totally redone and painted (not by us) It was a rusting heap when we started, and it's great now. We replaced all of the chrome (camero plates, headlight housing, door handles, mirrors, EVERYTHING)

Hooked up the rear defrost, replaced the 3 piece spoiler with the original one piece, full brakes all around,

Replaced whole interior, carpet, dash, (all of it) back seats (front were still good.) all of the trim, those plastic pieces that go up in the rear, headliner, brand new.

engine:

MSD ignition system; rebuilt engine, new air cleaner, chrome hoses (rad), timing GEAR (sounds like theres a blower under there.) chrome: alternator, water pump, timing cover, etc...if it could be replaced with chrome, it was.

rewired EVERYTHING inside and out.
    converted the mechanical speedo to electronic (had to, new gauges needed it)

and added: the most expensive alarm there is, with a display of motion in and around the car, int. temp sensor, auto locks, ect.
    and a killer stereo, amp, and speakers.

we did everything but the paint and body work. (we did have someone standing over us the third time we took it apart, turns out we had the timing totally screwed up)

anyway, thanks again for all the help everyone.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Eventual Success!

You learned a lot didn't you?
    Glad it's all back together and running right!:D

6. TDWZ28

TDWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Michigan
    What part of MI? I am around Flint.

7. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    eventual success is right!
    I learned so much that I could probably do it with my eyes closed.....(the first two times the results were the same anyway, I should have closed my eyes)

I live about two blocks from detroit, but we drive through flint about once a month.