70 z28 won't start after upgrades

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by mykul48332, Feb 8, 2006.

1. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    update

for anyone interested....we didn't do it. We looked at it, and stared at it, and we were both SURE that it is exactly right.

then the boss remembered he has a friend who's a master mechanic.

so he's coming by on sunday and we're all going to get a quick course in engine repair, followed by the putting together of the car. (which I am hoping to post pictures of soon, except for the color (lexus grey, don't ask me why) it looks like a brand new 70 z28.

so anyway, I'll post sunday and let you know if we screwed it up horribly, or just badly. :)

2. softail1940

softail1940 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Connecticut
  3. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Finally!!!

We got it all put back together this evening. We had the timing right, put in the distibutor, turned the key and there it was.

The idle was a bit high, but all the new guages worked great, the timing gear is loud as f...well, it's loud.
    This is a nice machine and I'm sure that any Michiganders will be seeing it this summer. We plan to take it out and show it, and we plan on winning a show or two. :)

I'll post some of the before and after pictures soon.
    Thanks again to everyone for all the help, we couldn't have done it without all the great advice and feedback.

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Please expound on what the master mechanic found, did, etc.

I hope that you all took notes and he taught you the in's and out's of what he was doing and why he was doing it.

5. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Not too much to expound on, we already had it pretty much right. The mechanic (Al) came in, turned the distributor a few teeth, and it fired right up.

We were both pretty happy about it, so today we were going to take it for a ride. Started it up, put it in gear,
    and blew a rod.

That's what he(my boss) thinks it is. this is what I know about it:
    we took the valve cover off of the passenger side and one of the arms was loose (as in: came right off the rod) But that wasn't where the sound was coming from though, it was a steady metal clang, like something was hitting something else as the engine turned. It sounded like it was coming from the carb, (or under it.)
    So.... He decided it was time for us to learn a lot more...I guess sometime this week we'll be tearing the engine down to replace the valves. (keep in mind, although he is my boss, we're not mechanics, I'm a computer tech.)

so we were thinking of adding a computer in to it this time. (like the ones in 'fast and furious') What do you guys think?

So here's the funny part: he had a 'professional' come in to do some of the work....he set the timing, tightened a rocker arm (the thing right under the valve cover), and did the brakes. We did all the rest (we unprofessionals)
    so far, all that has been wrong is : timing was off, loose rocker arm, and no e-brake....I hope this 'professional' reads this and gets why we haven't called him back!

6. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    Sounds like a loose lifter clacking away, especially since you said one of the rockers was loose. I'd have the mechanic that you trust readjust the rockers just to be safe.

7. softail1940

softail1940 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Connecticut
    JUST what he said dont rip the motor apart till you readjust the rockers:bowtie:

8. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Turns out all of the rods were bent. ALL of them. We're putting new ones in tomorrow (with the help of a professional) We'll let you know how it goes...:)

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Every pushrod bent!?! OOPS!
    I guess there wasn't enough valve/piston clearance for a cam/crank alignment problem.
    (See post #40.)

I hope the valves are okay!

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Hopefully the pushrods got bent when the cam was out of sync with the crank and not due to valve spring bind.

I can't remember what cam you said was in the eingine: hydraulic, solid, roller?