70 z28 won't start after upgrades

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by mykul48332, Feb 8, 2006.

1. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Ok, heres the situation:
    My boss got a 70 z28, had a bunch of work done, including electric locks, MSD mallory900 with MDSblaster3 coil, edelbrock carb....Not really sure what, I know more about computers than cars...I do know it's the LT1 8cyl vette engine (350) (I assume this is pretty common and someone smarter than I will be able to explain it to me in small words)

anyway.....everything ran fine until a few weeks ago when he added:
    new guage panel and gauges (which I wired myself from the diagram provided)
    changed the timing chain to timing gear
    switched to chrome alt, timing, waterpump
    painted the engine
    and (Please bear with me)
    changed out a bad ..is it called a power steering box? (auto for manual)
    added a piece to the trans to change speedo from mechanical to electric (again, I wired this exactly as shown)

now the car won't start. It turns over, it gets spark, it gets fuel....what else could it possibly be? The distributer was removed, but it was put back in by a master mechanic.

We've been working on this for days, can anyone help us?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  2. badazz70z28

badazz70z28 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2004
    mechanicfalls maine usa
    fuel and fire are the two things required to start an engine and you have both of them if the distributor was pulled , then it seems like it could be in the timing, either way out of whack or distributor is in wrong.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Did the crank or cam get moved when the timing chain was swapped for a gear drive?

If it did, and they got out-of-synch, no amount of ignition timing adjustment will help.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If it hasn’t run since then, I got $5 on that.

5. acg73Z/28

acg73Z/28 Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI USA
    It sounds like you need to do a complete timing check. bring the #1 cyl up to tdc on the compression stroke (the balancer timing mark should be close to the 0* mark on the tab) and check that the #1 plug wire is attached to the terminal that the rotor is pointing to. Then make sure the plug wires are in the correct firing order. It should be close enough to fire up then.

If you're not confident with timing an engine you may want to hire a mechanic.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Good advice, if the cam and crank are still in synch.

Both #1 valves should be closed at TDC of the compression stroke. If they aren't, the cam or crank were moved during the gear drive install.

Any backfiring?

7. softail1940

softail1940 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Connecticut
    I would say timing... how does it turn over slow fast normal?

8. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    it turns over slow, like the battery is dying. I asked my boss, and he said that the guy who did the timing gear and distributer layout was a master mechanich and that it has to be right. (he's a little on the ...uh...obstinate side)
    I really appreciate all of the answers and I am confident that I joined the right forum, as you people here seem to know what you're talking about.

9. mykul48332

mykul48332 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I just noticed the question about backfiring....It is not backfiring at all, it turns over and sounds perfectly normal..(although a bit slow) it just doesn't start

10. softail1940

softail1940 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Connecticut
    timing is off. have someone crank it over and move the Distributer slowly .....and keep your head away from the top of the carb