70 Z28 Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by camaro gold z28, Nov 3, 2007.

1. camaro gold z28

camaro gold z28 Veteran Member

Sep 21, 2004
    severn, maryland
    I have purchased two (2) sets of the leaf springs (5 leafs) from Eaton Springs under the original part number for the 70 Z28 #3992580. Both sets have set the car up too high in the rear. Has anyone has this problem and have you any suggestions on correcting the height issue??

jon

2. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Chillicothe Ohio
    Yes the Evil generic leaf spring one size arch fits all situation....

IMO... Give them a little time they will "stress in" to the ride height you want.

If you want them to stress in a little faster - this can be done. First do a ride height measurement,on both quarters, then protect the floor of your trunk with plywood and some towels. Next load the trunk with a few concrete blocks.

Repeat the ride height measurement with the blocks in. You may need to actually load the car lower because they will tend spring back some upon unloading.

Wait a day or so remove the blocks repeat the measurement. If still too high re load the trunk and repeat.

I got Eaton GM NOS leaf's for mine and this is exactly what I had to do to get them the way I wanted them. Best of luck. :bowtie:

3. greeny

greeny Veteran Member

Feb 21, 2005
    arizona
    I had the same issue with Eaton spings on my 72 SS. After spending a ton of money shipping them back and forth to Eaton with minimal results I turned to a local Phx leaf spring company Dunbar Spring. They took a look at the Eaton springs and suggested that I start over, I don't think they wanted to screw with the goop Eaton dips their springs in, and have them build a set of springs. I gave them one of my original springs and they duplicated them, without the dripping goop, and the ride height is perfect; all for about $125.00. If you look in your local yellow pages you will probably find an industrial truck spring company that makes custom leaf springs, they may be able to take some arch out of those over priced goopy Eaton springs or make you a pair exactly like the orignals. Good luck, I've been there done that.

Greeny

4. DANZ

DANZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Purcellville,Va.
    Jon, I've had no problem with the springs from Eaton. I replaced both the front coils and the back leafs. I know if you don't replace both front and back you may have a problem. Also make sure your shackles are in the right position, sometimes you need to push down on the car to get them to spring into position. The car should have a slight rake. ( a tad higher in the rear )

5. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    FYI, the 1970 Z28 DOES SIT HIGHER than the 71 or later cars ...

6. camaro gold z28

Sep 21, 2004
    severn, maryland
    Dan,
    Can you share the Eaton part numbers you used???

Thanks

jon

7. DANZ

Feb 28, 2004
    Purcellville,Va.
    Jon, I restored my Z back in the mid 90's but I do know where my reciepts are. I'll dig them out to see what I can find.

8. DANZ

Feb 28, 2004
    Purcellville,Va.

Jon, I found my reciept for the springs I bought from Eaton dated 10/24/96.
    All it says is " 1970 Z28 Camaro Front coil springs"
    "1970 Z28 Camaro Rear leaf springs (5)"
    Guess Eaton didn't use part numbers in 1996. :confused:
    I seem to remember giving them the part numbers out of the assembly manual or some other book I had.
    Sorry not much help.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  9. camaro gold z28

Sep 21, 2004
    severn, maryland
    Dan,
    Thanks for taking the time to look. Greatly appreciated.

jon

10. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Jon,

I looked up my Eaton reciept from 2003.....no part number on it either. I just told them I had the stock F41 suspension.

You probably already know this but........Make sure "BEFORE" you tighten the rear shackle bolt's, that you lower the car to the ground so there is some weight on the spring's to flatten the arch. Even load the trunk with some extra weight also.

If you tighten the bolt's without the weight on the spring's, they will stay fully arched when you lower the car. Give's it that nice hillbilly look....

Ask me how i know. :screwup: