70 Z/28 rs conversion

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by bamasmokediver, Mar 28, 2017.

1. bamasmokediver

bamasmokediver New Member

Feb 16, 2015
    decatur, Alabama
    so I know this is a touchy subject to some, but I am going to purchases a r/s conversion kit but keep my original 1970 Z / 28 straight bumper front end. I know they are much harder to spot... my question is.... do I go with Johns classic parts in Georgia ( is not a far drive. From me) or do I assume that all kits are created equal? Basically is ground up same kit as Johns, year one, etc. they all seem to charge 1,799.00 for kit but one had one for 1,399.00 was afraid it may be different quality. Any help or advise is appreciated!! FYI freight is generally 150 to ship

2. Rider1970

Rider1970 Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Grand rapids, MI
    So you are going to have an RS nose with a full bumper? Will that even fit? The RS nose cone stick forward more. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Either go full RS or leave it alone.

3. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    Read my thread (linked in my sig). Getting everything to fit was an absolute nightmare. I bought the RS conversion kit from SS396 (approx $1,800). I'm a shade tree mechanic AT BEST with very little body work knowledge/skill, and after about 20 total hours of trying to line up panels I finally took it to an expert. He even had trouble and had to do a lot of cutting, welding, bending, and all that jazz. If I had to do it over again, and had the money and space, I would opt to buy a donor car like this ( https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6055962044.html ) and then just swap over the front piece. Plus, you get the added bonus of understanding how it all goes together when you are taking it all apart. Understandably, you may not have the time, space, or money to do that but it is the easiest and, in my opinion, the better option. If you go with one of the kits, just be prepared for some fitment issues.

Best of luck!