70 vs 70 1/2 camaro

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by ratherbski, Sep 17, 2012.

1. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    it was probably a lot of different things

2. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not so much 'issues' as much as changing all the tooling to accomodate the new body style. The whole car was redesigned and it took a while to produce the dies needed to get the car into production. Since the tooling wasn't ready GM kept the production going on the 69 as long as possible.

Its no mystery for most of us Camaro enthusiests.

3. indy camaro

indy camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2011
    USA
    ^^ that is what it says in the books I have :)
    Too many go by what they think or hear, not truth. And you get what we have here, the 69/70 1/2 RS SS HO Z28 with badge delete :(

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    this obviously wasn't the first car that gm built and I'm quite sure gm has experienced problems before. the car is pretty sorted by launch time . Ive read alot of different reasons , dash issues , tooling , strike . the bottom line is if gm wanted that car out in September it would be out ( obviously barring a strike ). how many cars are "delayed" today or since 4 months . a week or two maybe , but 4 months ? they had 1 major line change when i was at Tarrytown and the just shut us down early ( April ) . in sure only gm knows for sure . ill never forget , as a GM old timer marched about 10 of us down to the belly of the beast ( the body shop ) on our first day of work at the plant , he said " don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see here " . from that point on i never did .

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. bob licher

bob licher Veteran Member

Feb 28, 2010
    lake havasu az
    Black programs

I know for a fact that GM is still building 70&1/2 camaros with a secret off shore location with non union labor. That's why it's still a secret because there are no union people there! They have a "aging" chamber so they look 40& a 1/2 years old. It's a secret Island that time forgot. It rains a lot but it helps with the aging process and the native people help with hidding the whole operation because GM gives them cars to keep them quiet. And you guessed it they are all non union. rumor has it that if you have enough money you can order one, but no red, or yellow cars or white cars, and they are giving them twinkies made in China

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2010
    long island, new york
    Who would chop the roof and only take out an inch. Most chops are 3 or 4 inch chops. Hardly seems like it for an inch