'70 seat belt question

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by spav350, Jun 23, 2009.

1. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    please note that the shoulder belt on any pre 74 should NEVER have a retractor on it

bad thing

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    thats not an attachment to the seat. its some weird retractor ( probably from Whitney) but it just clips on( belt is intact) so there is a little more mobility . any info on this part is appreciated [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    why???

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    the part ( obviously not GM ) has a patent pending # on it and it slips onto the belt. the belt is not compromised in any way. its spring loaded to keep the belt tight against your chest but gives you a few inches of mobility to say, check your mirrors or look behind you for lane change before the spring bottoms out and keeps you from eating the steering wheel

5. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    because the shoulder belt has to have just a fist width of clearance to your chest for it to work properly

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    In 70-72 1 buckle was used for the waist and the other buckle for the shoulder strap.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    new cars now have a retractor in them them keeps the belt tight against your chest, so ???? anyway there is still an adjustment on the belt itself so you can keep the belt where ever you want it. it only travels 6 or so inches. with out the retractor did you ever try to lean forward to make a lane change or merge on the highway. i really could care less about it i just wonder what the part is and where it came from( it was on the car when i got it). i mean by 74 or so there was no need for it as all belts retracted at the shoulder. who knows maybe they were outlawed by the federal government

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  8. spav350

spav350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Thanks to all for the info. ;)

9. al8apex

al8apex Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2005
    scottsdale, az
    the modern belts compensate with the retractors, the ones that are a fixed length have to be close enough to your chest to function correctly. By adding the extra amount in the belt it will not do its job if called upon to

we never want to have to 2nd guess how the safety items will or will not work in our older cars

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    your kidding right? i think ill risk it. oy. i never even use that belt anyway. I'm driving down the street not at a nascar race. half of these cars have been cut apart and put back together so many time they would probably break in half if they were hit anyway. and the others don't even have belts.